Dr Shirin Shahrbaf
DDS, DClinDent, PhD, MFDS, RCSEd, FHEA
School of Clinical Dentistry
NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry
Specialist Registrar in Restorative Dentistry
+44 114 215 9334
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I have completed a 3-year postgraduate training in operative dentistry in 2006 followed by completion of my dentistry in 2003. I have obtained my PhD in Restorative Dentistry from the University of Sheffield in 2011. I also obtained my Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching from the University of Sheffield and became a fellow of the Higher Education Academy in 2014.
I joined the University of Sheffield as a Clinical Teacher in Restorative Dentistry in 2012 and have been closely involved with undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research at the School of Clinical Dentistry. Currently I am a NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer with Specialty Training in Restorative Dentistry at the University of Sheffield.
My main activities include clinical and laboratory teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate dental students, treatment of patients with advanced restorative needs referred by General Dental Practitioners and research within the Bioengineering and Health Technologies Research Group.
- Research interests
I am interested in multidisciplinary research in the field of dental biomaterials, computerized dentistry and advanced manufacturing technique. My research interests can be categorized in six main categories:
- Systematic review of economic evaluations and oral health-related quality of life outcomes for fixed and removable prosthodontic interventions to replace missing teeth according to OHIP quality of life measure
- Customised implant using advanced manufacturing for clinical applications in human
- Clinical research and governance
- Structural integrity of teeth restored with machined ceramic restoration (mechanical evaluation and Finite Element Analysis Evaluation)
- Dental biomechanics
- FEA (Finite Element Analysis) of complex dental geometries
- The effect of crown fabrication process on the fatigue life of the tooth-crown structure. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 109. View this article in WRRO
- Research group
- 2011-14. Raad Al-Marza - The influence of the lute on the fracture strength of machined ceramic restoration (With Dr. N. Martin-PI, completed).
- Teaching activities
I am the Lead for 2nd BDS programme (DEN204), the theme comprises three sub-courses including Basic clinical skills, principles of patient management, pulpal disease which will help guide students’ learning and teaching within the restorative dentistry.
My main teaching activities include:
- Clinical and laboratory teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Student research project supervision including Masters and PhD projects
- Professional activities
- Member of the International Association of Dental Research (IADR)
- Member of the British Society for Oral and Dental Research (BSODR)
- Member of the British Society for Restorative Dentistry (BSRD)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Examiner for the LDS award (Royal College of Surgeons of England)