Professor Zoe Marshman
BDS, MPH, DDPH, FDS (DPH), PhD
School of Clinical Dentistry
Professor in Dental Public Health
Honorary Consultant in Dental Public Health
+44 114 215 9398
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2002 as a Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Specialist Registrar in Dental Public Health. Since then I have completed specialist training and was awarded a PhD in 2008. I am currently a Professor and Honorary Consultant in Dental Public Health.
- Research interests
My main interest is child-centred dental research to improve the oral health and treatment experiences of children and their families. I have led, published and presented internationally and nationally many child-centred research projects and have become recognised as an advocate for involving children in high quality oral health research, using innovative participatory methods. I lead the CREATE research theme.
Self-help Cognitive Behavioural Therapy resource for young people with dental anxiety
I am the principal investigator on a project to develop and evaluate a self-help Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) resource for young people with dental anxiety. This project involves collaboration with Kings College London, University of Reading and University of Glasgow. This project has resulted in the first self-help CBT resource for young people with dental anxiety and accompanying resources for parents and dental teams.
Management of caries in primary teeth
I am leading two aspects of the NIHR Health Technology Assessment FiCTION - Filling Children's Teeth: Indicated Or Not?’ trial. The aim of this multi-centred clinical trial is to provide an evidence base for the most effective approach to the management of dental caries in the primary teeth of children. I am leading the qualitative research on children, parents and dentists experiences and joint leader of the parent and patient outcome measures component. http://dentistry.dundee.ac.uk/nihr-hta-fiction-trial
Improving parental supervision of toothbrushing
I am an investigator on a project which is part of the Early Life and Prevention theme of the NIHR Yorkshire and Humber ARC looking at parental supervision of toothbrushing. This project involves collaboration with the University of Leeds, Bradford Institute for Health Research and Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council. The project has resulted in a systematic review and development of an intervention to improve parental supervision of toothbrushing in families living in deprived areas.
- Dr Jennifer Kettle
- Dr Sarab El Yousfi
- Home‐based toothbrushing interventions for parents of young children to reduce dental caries: A systematic review. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. View this article in WRRO
- Dental professionals’ experiences of managing children with carious lesions in their primary teeth – a qualitative study within the FiCTION randomised controlled trial. BMC Oral Health, 20(1). View this article in WRRO
- Research group
- Annie Morgan. Dental anxiety in young people. Royal College of Surgeons, Faculty of Dental Surgery Fellowship. September 2013-
- Rebecca Knapp. Changes on child oral health-related quality of life following a dental general anaesthetic. PAPOR studentship. October 2015-
- Helen Rogers. Development of a caries-specific measure suitable for valuation by children. NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowshop January 2017-
- Bhupinder Dawett. Minimal intervention dentistry for children with dental caries. NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship October 2018-
- Teaching activities
I teach undergraduate dental students, dental hygiene/therapy students and on the Masters in Dental Public Health programme. My main teaching interests include dental epidemiology and the organisation of dental healthcare systems.
- Masters in Dental Public Health face-to-face - module lead for Dental Public Health - Foundations and Theory CDH604
- Masters in Dental Public Health face-to-face - module lead for Dental Public Health - Application and Critique CDH605
- Masters in Dental Public Health distance learning - module lead for Dental Public Health - Application and Critique CDH624
- Professional activities
- NIHR Yorkshire and Humber Oral and Dental specialty group lead 2016 -
- South Yorkshire Institute for Innovation and Research in Child Health core team member 2015
- Member of NIHR Research for Patient Benefit Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Advisory Committee 2014-2018
- Chair of the North of England and Yorkshire Dental Public Health Audit group: 2014-2017
- Editorial board member of the Journal of Dental Research
- Guest Editor of themed issue of International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry September 2015.
- Journal referee for Journal of Dental Research, Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, Community Dental Health, Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, Quality of Life Research, British Dental Journal.
- Examiner for the Diploma in Dental Public Health examination for the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- I have honorary contracts with Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Public Health England
- My dental public health service work includes development and implementation of oral health improvement strategies, conducting service evaluations and Patient and Public Involvement activities