Professor Zoe Marshman
BDS, MPH, DDPH, FDS (DPH), PhD
School of Clinical Dentistry
Professor in Dental Public Health
Honorary Consultant in Dental Public Health
+44 114 215 9398
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2002 as a Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Specialist Registrar in Dental Public Health. Since then I have completed specialist training and was awarded a PhD in 2008. I am currently a Professor and Honorary Consultant in Dental Public Health.
- Research interests
My main interest is child-centred dental research to improve the oral health and treatment experiences of children and their families. I have led, published and presented internationally and nationally many child-centred research projects and have become recognised as an advocate for involving children in high quality oral health research, using innovative participatory methods. I lead the CREATE research theme.
My current projects include:
Self-help Cognitive Behavioural Therapy resource for young people with dental anxiety
I am the principal investigator on a project to develop and evaluate a self-help Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) resource for young people with dental anxiety. This project involved collaboration with Kings College London, University of Reading and University of Glasgow. This project resulted in the first self-help CBT resource for young people with dental anxiety and accompanying resources for parents and dental teams.
Since then, further funding has been obtained from the NIHR Health Technology Assessment programme for the CALM trial to investigate the clinical and cost-effectiveness of the self-help CBT resource to reduce dental anxiety in children seen in primary dental care. https://fundingawards.nihr.ac.uk/award/NIHR131805
BRIGHT Trial: Brushing RemInder 4 Good oral Health
I am co-PI on the BRIGHT Trial: Brushing RemInder 4 Good oral HealTh, funded by the NIHR Health Technology Assessment programme. BRIGHT is a multi-centre UK-wide trial evaluating the clinical and cost-effectiveness of a Short Messaging Service behaviour change programme to improve the oral health of young people living in deprived areas. https://www.york.ac.uk/healthsciences/research/trials/research/trials/bright/
I am also involved with other NIHR funded research including:
PIP: Pulpotomy for the management of Irreversible Pulpitis in mature teeth https://www.abdn.ac.uk/hsru/what-we-do/trials-unit/pip-957.php
SCRIPT: Selective Caries Removal In Posterior Teeth https://www.abdn.ac.uk/hsru/what-we-do/trials-unit/script-834.php
Public health research projects: Public Health Practice Evaluation Scheme - First Dental Steps
Yorkshire and Humber Applied Research Collaboration https://www.arc-yh.nihr.ac.uk/
My international funded research projects include:
Norwegian Research Council. #Care4YoungTeeth, 2022-
- Dr Jennifer Kettle
- Dr Sarab El Yousfi
- "Strong Teeth": an early-phase study to assess the feasibility of an oral health intervention delivered by dental teams to parents of young children. BMC Oral Health, 21. View this article in WRRO
- “Strong Teeth”: the acceptability of an early-phase feasibility trial of an oral health intervention delivered by dental teams to parents of young children. BMC Oral Health, 21.
- Facilitators and barriers to home-based toothbrushing practices by parents of young children to reduce tooth decay: a systematic review. Clinical Oral Investigations.
- Organizational barriers to oral health conversations between health visitors and parents of children aged 9–12 months old. Frontiers in Public Health, 9(1).
- Patient‐reported Outcomes (PROs) in clinical trials in paediatric dentistry. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation of a new paediatric dentistry intravenous sedation service. British Dental Journal.
- Children and parents’ perspectives on the acieptability of three management strategies for dental caries in primary teeth within the ‘filling children’s teeth : Indicated or not’ (FiCTION) randomised controlled trial – a qualitative study. BMC Oral Health, 20. View this article in WRRO
- Patient Narratives of Orthognathic Treatment for Facial Asymmetry: A Qualitative Study. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Development of a core outcome set for use in routine orthodontic clinical trials. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics.
- A rapid review of variation in the use of dental general anaesthetics in children. British Dental Journal, 229(1), 31-39. View this article in WRRO
- The impact of dental caries and its treatment under general anaesthetic on children and their families. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry.
- National patterns in paediatric hospital admissions for dental extractions in England. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology.
- Research group
- Annie Morgan: Dental anxiety in young people. September 2013- present. Funded by Faculty of Dental Surgery Research Award.
- Ashwag Alotaibi: Oral health of children in special schools in Saudi Arabia. 2019-present. Funded by Saudi Arabia government.
- Bhupinder Dawett: The implementation and acceptability of Minimum Intervention Dentistry in children attending NHS dental practice – a feasibility study. October 2017-present. Funded by NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship.
- Fiona Noble: No need(le) to worry: development and feasibility study of a self-help cognitive behavioural therapy resource for children with needle fear. June 2021-. Funded by NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship.
- Teaching interests
I teach undergraduate dental students, dental hygiene and dental therapy students and on the Masters in Dental Public Health programme. My main teaching interests include dental epidemiology and the organisation of dental healthcare systems.
- Teaching activities
I am dental public health lead for the BDS programme and module lead for the Masters in Dental Public Health - Foundations and Theory CDH604 module.
I am external examiner for several undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across the UK.
- Professional activities
- Invited speaker at International Association of Dental Research and International Association of Paediatric Dentistry conferences
- National policy work for Department for Education and Public Health England
- Chair of the North of England and Yorkshire Dental Public Health Audit group: 2014 - present
- NIHR Yorkshire and Humber Oral and Dental specialty group lead 2016 - present
- Academic director for Charles Clifford Dental Services, Sheffield Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, 2017- present
- Journal referee for Journal of Dental Research, Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, Community Dental Health, Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, Quality of Life Research, British Dental Journal.
- Chair and member of various trial and project steering committees.