Dr Luke Seed
BEng, PhD, CENG, MIET, MIEEE
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Departmental Director of Learning & Teaching
Semiconductor Materials and Devices Research Group
+44 114 222 5844
Full contact details
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
I studied for my BEng degree (1983) and PhD (1989) in Electronic Engineering in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Sheffield.
I joined the academic staff in the same department in 1986, becoming a senior lecturer in 1997. Over the years, my research has ranged from image processing, through computer vision, to low-power VLSI and 3D packaging technologies.
My work, since 2002 has been focussed on using numerically-generated holograms within photolithographic processes for applications such as electronic packaging and non-planar antennas.
I have been the Departmental Director of Learning and Teaching since 2012 and Deputy Head of Department since 2014.
- BEng (Electronic Engineering), University of Sheffield 1983
- PhD, University of Sheffield 1989
- CENG, MIET, MIEEE
- Research interests
- VLSI and system design
- 3-dimensional system packaging
- Holographic lithography
- Selective electron beam melting manufacturing of electrically small antennas. Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal (ASTES), 2(6), 70-75. View this article in WRRO
- High-contrast pattern reconstructions using a phase-seeded point CGH method. Applied Optics, 55(7), 1703-1703. View this article in WRRO
- Fabrication of a 3D electrically-small antenna using holographic photolithography. J MICROMECH MICROENG, 23, 1-5.
- A survey on fall detection: Principles and approaches. Neurocomputing.
- Three-dimensional holographic lithography by an iterative algorithm.. Opt Lett, 36(13), 2495-2497.
- Vertical tracks on the sidewall of a silicon die using 3D holographic photolithography. J MICROMECH MICROENG, 21(8).
- Controlled-width track in through silicon via using 3D holographic photolithography with modified electrodepositable photoresist. J MICROMECH MICROENG, 20(1).
- Photolithographic patterning of bihelical tracks onto conical substrates. J MICRO-NANOLITH MEM, 6(4).
- Testing methods for X-machines: a review. FORM ASP COMPUT, 18(1), 3-30.
- Nonplanar photolithography with computer-generated holograms.. Opt Lett, 30(11), 1300-1302.
- Non-planar interconnect. Circuit World, 31(2), 10-14.
- Performance evaluation of routing protocols in vehicular ad-hoc networks.. International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, 1(2), 80-91.
- The patterning of fine-pitch electrical interconnections on non-planar substrates: a comparison between methods utilising laser ablation and electro-deposited photoresist. SENSOR ACTUAT A-PHYS, 112(2-3), 360-367.
- Improving accuracy, robustness and computational efficiency in 3D computer vision. IMAGE VISION COMPUT, 22(5), 399-412.
- Continuous and high coverage self-testing of dynamically re-configurable systems. PARALLEL COMPUT, 28(7-8), 1155-1178.
- Baseline-wander effects on systems employing digital pulse-interval modulation. IEE P-OPTOELECTRON, 147(4), 295-300.
- Digital pulse interval modulation for optical communications. IEEE COMMUN MAG, 36(12), 95-99.
- A Generalized Computer Vision Chip.. Real Time Imaging, 2(4), 203-213.
- A Transputer-Based 3-D Multi-Chip Module. Transputer Communications, 3(2), 137-150.
- Design and evaluation of an epoxy three-dimensional multichip module. IEEE T COMPON PACK B, 19(1), 188-194.
- Utilizing a low cost 3D packaging technology for consumer applications. IEEE T CONSUM ELECTR, 41(4), 1095-1102.
- A SINGLE-CHIP VIDEO SIGNAL-PROCESSING ARCHITECTURE FOR IMAGE-PROCESSING, CODING, AND COMPUTER VISION. IEEE T CIRC SYST VID, 5(5), 436-445.
- ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS IN DENSE 3-DIMENSIONAL PACKAGES. ELECTRON LETT, 31(10), 786-788.
- STRETCH-CORRELATION AS A REAL-TIME ALTERNATIVE TO FEATURE-BASED STEREO MATCHING ALGORITHMS. IMAGE VISION COMPUT, 12(4), 203-212.
- A COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE FOR REAL-TIME IMAGE-PROCESSING USING VLSI. MICROPROC MICROPROG, 24(1-5), 309-314.
- The RAPAC Image Processing System. Microcomputer Applications, 7(1), 17-21.
- AUTOMATIC MONITORING OF VEHICLES AT ROAD JUNCTIONS.. Traffic Engineering and Control, 28(10), 541-543.
- RAPAC - A HIGH-SPEED IMAGE-PROCESSING SYSTEM. IEE PROC-E, 134(1), 39-46.
- Single-ended pass transistor logic for low-power design. Conference Record of the Thirty-Third Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers (Cat. No.CH37020).
- Computer graphics hardware - image generation and display: tutorial In Reghbati HK & Lee AYC (Ed.) (pp. 358-365). IEEE Computer Society
Conference proceedings papers
- Efficiency measurements of additive manufactured electrically small antennas. 2017 International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas, Innovative Structures, and Applications (iWAT), 1 March 2017 - 3 March 2017.
- 3D printed electrically small planar inverted-F antenna: Efficiency improvement through voluminous expansion. 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 26 June 2016 - 1 July 2016.
- Improved efficiency electrically small planar inverted-F antenna. 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 10 April 2016 - 15 April 2016.
- Electrically small modified planar inverted-F antenna. 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2015
- 3D dual resonance, high efficiency, electrically small planar inverted-F antenna. Wideband and Multi-Band Antennas and Arrays for Civil, Security [amp ] Military Applications
- High contrast patterns generated by phase-seeded CGH extensible to 3-D patterns and binary modulation. Digital Holography and Three-Dimensional Imaging, DH 2015 (pp 410p)
- 3D electrically small dome antenna. 2014 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 10 November 2014 - 11 November 2014.
- 3D Electrically Small Dome Antenna Dual-band and Wide-band Modifications. 2014 LOUGHBOROUGH ANTENNAS AND PROPAGATION CONFERENCE (LAPC) (pp 653-656)
- Design and fabrication of meander line antenna on glass substrate. 2013 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, LAPC 2013 (pp 559-562)
- Time-division multiplexing of iterated holograms for lithography on 3D surfaces. Digital Holography and Three-Dimensional Imaging, DH 2012
- Iterative zero-order suppression from an off-axis hologram based on the 2D Hilbert transform. Digital Holography and Three-Dimensional Imaging, DH 2012
- High fidelity microlithography patterning using computer generated holograms. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers
- A photolithographic process for grossly non-planar substrates - art. no. 69212E. EMERGING LITHOGRAPHIC TECHNOLOGIES XII, PTS 1 AND 2, Vol. 6921 (pp E9212-E9212)
- Non-planar photolithography using digital holograms. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers
- Photolithography on three dimensional substrates. Proceedings - Electronic Components and Technology Conference, Vol. 2006 (pp 283-288)
- Photolithography on grossly non-planar substrates. Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE CPMT Conference on High Density Microsystem Design, Packaging and Failure Analysis (HDP'05) (pp 442-446)
- A location-based routing algorithm for vehicle to vehicle communication. ICCCN 2004: 13TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER COMMUNICATIONS AND NETWORKS, PROCEEDINGS (pp 221-226)
- Cluster-based location routing algorithm and its application on motorways. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Computer Science and Technology (pp 358-363)
- Using the cluster-based location routing (CBLR) algorithm for exchanging information on a motorway.. 2002 4TH INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON MOBILE AND WIRELESS COMMUNICATION NETWORK (pp 212-216)
- The effect of multipath propagation on the performance of DPIM on diffuse optical wireless communications. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IASTED INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON WIRELESS AND OPTICAL COMMUNICATIONS (pp 166-172)
- The effect of baseline wander on the performance of digital pulse interval modulation. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(128) (pp 95-99)
- Single Ended Pass-Transistor Logic - A Comparison with CMOS and CPL.. VLSI, Vol. 162 (pp 206-218)
- Optical wireless communication using digital pulse interval modulation. OPTICAL WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS, Vol. 3532 (pp 61-69)
- A generalised convolver for Computer Vision. THIRTY-FIRST ASILOMAR CONFERENCE ON SIGNALS, SYSTEMS & COMPUTERS, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 1522-1526)
- 3-D re-configurable image processing element. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(197)
- Benchmarking of Bootstrap Temporal Stereo using Statistical and Physical Scene Modelling.. BMVC (pp 1-10)
- Robust Stereo via Temporal Consistency.. BMVC
- A stereo vision processor. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE 1995 CUSTOM INTEGRATED CIRCUITS CONFERENCE (pp 181-184)
- Animate vision demonstrator utilising reconfigurable system design. IEE Conference Publication(410) (pp 500-504)
- Low cost, intelligent micro-camera for surveillance. IEE Conference Publication(408) (pp 50-53)
- Micro-packaged image acquisition and processing module. IEE Conference Publication(410) (pp 455-459)
- AN ULTRA COMPACT, LOW-COST, COMPLETE IMAGE-PROCESSING SYSTEM. 1995 IEEE INTERNATIONAL SOLID-STATE CIRCUITS CONFERENCE, DIGEST OF TECHNICAL PAPERS, Vol. 38 (pp 230-231)
- Smart feature detection using an invariance network architecture. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 6TH BRITISH MACHINE VISION CONFERENCE 1995, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 327-336)
- General purpose, single chip video signal processing (VSP) architecture for image processing, coding and computer vision. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(135)
- HART, A HETEROGENEOUS ARCHITECTURE FOR REAL-TIME PROTOTYPING, DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF MACHINE VISION APPLICATIONS. ICIP-94 - PROCEEDINGS, VOL III (pp 678-680)
- FEATURE TRACKING AND MOTION CLASSIFICATION USING A SWITCHABLE MODEL KALMAN FILTER. BMVC94 - PROCEEDINGS OF THE 5TH BRITISH MACHINE VISION CONFERENCE, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 599-608)
- A GENERAL PURPOSE, SINGLE CHIP VIDEO SIGNAL PROCESSING (VSP) ARCHITECTURE FOR IMAGE PROCESSING, CODING AND COMPUTER VISION. ICIP-94 - PROCEEDINGS, VOL III (pp 601-605)
- HART, A HETEROGENEOUS ARCHITECTURE FOR REAL-TIME IMAGE-PROCESSING. INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON IMAGE PROCESSING AND ITS APPLICATIONS, Vol. 354 (pp 590-593)
- Enhanced transputer module for real-time image processing. IEE Conference Publication(307) (pp 131-135)
- AUTOMATIC VEHICLE RECOGNITION. SECOND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ROAD TRAFFIC MONITORING, Vol. 299 (pp 71-78)
- Real Time Vehicle Recognition. Image Processing, Analysis, Measurement, and Quality
- Background Updating For Real-Time Image Processing At TV Rates. Image Processing, Analysis, Measurement, and Quality
Real Time Processing of Infrared Images from Road Traffic. Infrared Technology and Applications
- RAPAC IMAGE PROCESSING SYSTEM.. IEE Colloquium (Digest)(1986 /48)
- Professional activities
- Senior Lecturer
- Deputy Head of Department
- Departmental Director of Learning & Teaching
- Research students
Student Degree Status Primary/Secondary Hu D H PhD Graduated Primary Vanak S K PhD Graduated Primary Zawada A PhD Graduated Primary Aquino Santos R PhD Graduated Secondary Bogdan I A Phd Graduated Secondary Mufti S PhD Graduated Secondary Sanchez-Velazquez N E PhD Graduated Secondary