Giving from the USA

Thank you for considering making a gift to the University of Sheffield in America. Your donation will make a huge difference to research with global impact as well as helping Sheffield students fulfil their potential.

The Stars and Stripes

US tax payers can claim a tax deduction for gifts made to the 'University of Sheffield in America' - a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organisation, EIN 30-0207689.

You can make a single or recurring gift of US dollars online through our secure online donations page. To make a recurring gift tick the 'Make this a recurring gift' box.

If you have any questions about making a gift please email

Donate via check/cheque

To make a donation via check please make your check out to ‘University of Sheffield in America’ and send it, along with your full name and any study details (class year and subject) to:

University of Sheffield in America, Inc.
1350 Avenue of the Americas, Floor 2, Suite 266,
New York, NY 10019
United States

Donate by wire transfer

If you would like to make a donation directly to our USA bank account, please get in touch with us at, to get the information you need in order to make the wire transfer.

Company matching gifts

The University of Sheffield in America can also accept tax-deductible contributions from US corporate matching gift programs. Please ask your employer, and send the relevant paperwork with your donation.

Bequests and planned gifts 

A planned gift can offer significant tax benefits - substantially reducing capital gains and estate taxes - and/or provide immediate income to you or a beneficiary. U.S. tax payers wishing to support Sheffield through an estate plan may do so via the University of Sheffield in America.

Bequests made by US taxpayers to the University of Sheffield in America are deductible for US estate tax purposes, and there is no limit on the amount of charitable estate tax deduction.

Suggested wording for a Will or Codicil, to be discussed with your lawyer:

'I leave, devise and bequeath the sum of $________________ to University of Sheffield in America, Inc., EIN 30-0207689, a 501(c)(3) organization established under the laws of Delaware, or, if such organization is not still in existence and a 501(c)(3) organization, then to the University of Sheffield in Sheffield, UK.'

It is also possible to make a tax efficient gift from you IRA retirement fund, or via a life insurance policy.

To discuss a bequest or alternative planned giving vehicle, please email

Gifts of stocks and shares

A gift of stock or shares is tax deductible in the same way as a gift of cash. The value of donated stock can be claimed as a charitable gift on your tax return, and, a gift of long held appreciated stock will also be free from Capital Gains Tax; effectively providing two tax savings in one.

For us, donating stock directly to the University of Sheffield in America, rather than selling the stock, had two distinct advantages. One was convenience: the gift was done all in one step, rather than a sale and then a donation. Another was that our gift was effectively larger by virtue of not having to pay out capital gains tax. It really made sense for us to support in this way.”

Dr Ellen Friedman and Dr Ted Dunning

(PhD, 1999), California

It is easy to donate stock to the University of Sheffield in America. We work with a brokerage firm to help you transfer your stock, the proceeds of which go to the Alumni Fund or a project of your preference. Please email to discuss this further.