Frequently asked questions by University of Sheffield students who are going abroad.


Your course

Where should my year abroad transcript be sent to?

Physical copies of your transcript should be sent to Global Opportunities: 

Global Opportunities
University of Sheffield
Arts Tower, Level 7
Western Bank
S10 2TN

Digital versions of your transcript can be sent by email to globalopps@sheffield.ac.uk

Where can I get a copy of my Sheffield transcript?

You can request a Summary of Results from SSiD free of charge. If you order a transcript instead, you will be charged. Details are available on the SSiD website (student log in required).

I need help with my module choices, who do I contact?

Your departmental study abroad advisor: see the list of departmental tutors for contact details.

I have questions about my grade conversion, who do I contact?

Your departmental study abroad advisor: see the list of departmental tutors for contact details.

Do I have to register with Sheffield even though I am abroad?

Yes, you are still a Sheffield student. See the registration website (student log in required) for more information on registration for continuing students.

Work placements

Work placements should be negotiated and arranged between you, the placement provider and your academic department. You may also find that the Careers Service can offer you some help and advice: Careers Service

Remember, work placements must be recognised by your academic department as counting towards your degree.