Language and Communication
Course code HCS6026
This module describes children’s development of language and communication, including aspects of social and emotional development, as well as spoken language. The analysis of different components of language will be explored. Individual differences in language and communication skills are discussed. Theoretical perspectives and research findings about children’s language and communication difficulties will be evaluated. Implications for practice are explored, including intervention strategies.
Speech and Language Therapists, teachers and other professionals working with children.
By the end of the module students are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate an informed knowledge and understanding of children’s language and communication development.
- Describe the nature of children’s language and communication difficulties.
- Discuss the impact of language and communication difficulties on children’s learning.
- Demonstrate critical understanding of theoretical perspectives in the field.
- Critically analyse research findings in the field of language and communication difficulties.
- Apply increased knowledge and understanding of children’s language and communication development and difficulties to their practice
The module content is delivered online and includes guided independent study, using online reading material available from the University Library. Students are supported by University tutors via online discussion boards and email.
Online learning will be supplemented by an optional 2 day study block in Sheffield.
The module starts in late January of each year. The module runs over a period of 12 weeks, and this 15 credit module should take about 150 hours to complete (including preparation for the assignment). See timetable for the year.
A 3,000-word assignment.
Fees and funding for the module
Fully funded places available for NHS employees in Yorkshire and the Humber and East Midlands, please email email@example.com.
How to apply for the module
Please visit our how to apply page.
For more information email: