Ophthalmology and Orthoptics MPhil and PhD opportunities
We invite enquiries from anyone wishing to carry out research in the field of ophthalmology and orthoptics. We have an excellent track record in supporting postgraduate researchers from around the world.
The Vision Research in Sheffield (VRIS) Centre carries out theoretical and applied research to understand many aspects of the visual system and improve patient management. Our work includes contributing to national guidelines, policies and care pathways.
Our research is grouped in four themes:
- Accommodation & Physiological Optics
- Assessment of Vision and Eye Movement
- Binocular Vision
- Visual Perception and Sensory Adaptation
The Division of Ophthalmology and Orthoptics at the University of Sheffield was the best place for me to do a PhD. It has a unique combination of excellent academic supervisors, clinical experts in my area of research and strong links with clinical eye departments. The wider support and development opportunities offered to postgraduate students by the university shows how important they consider the personal and professional development of PhD students to be.
PhD student, NIHR Clinical Research Fellow
Important points to consider
- Have you identified any potential supervisors?
- Do you have a well-defined area of interest you wish to address, and are you able to describe your project plans?
- Have you considered funding for the duration of your studies?
If you would like to apply or simply learn more about our postgraduate research opportunities, please get in touch with potential supervisors.
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.