International Merit Postgraduate Scholarship 2021
We are delighted to offer 150 International Postgraduate Taught Merit Scholarships in 2021.
The deadline to apply has now passed.
Each scholarship is a competitive award worth 25% of the original tuition fee for a postgraduate taught programme starting in September 2021. The scholarships are available to all new international students who meet the eligibility criteria.
You must hold an offer to study at the University of Sheffield.
- The deadline for scholarship applications was 13:00 (UK time) on Monday 17 May 2021.
- Scholarship results will be announced by 16:00 (UK time) on Friday 4 June 2021.
- Your programme must commence at the University of Sheffield in autumn 2021.
- Distance learning courses are ineligible for a merit scholarship.
- You must receive an offer for a course studied in full at the University of Sheffield. Masters programmes split between the University of Sheffield and a partner institution are not eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- All Crossways courses and Erasmus Mundus courses are ineligible for a merit scholarship.
- For tuition fee purposes you must be self-funded and required to pay the overseas tuition fee.
- You must not be a sponsored student*.
- For scholarship purposes all MArch programmes are considered as postgraduate taught programmes and are not eligible for undergraduate scholarships.
- Anyone studying a Masters/integrated PhD programme is eligible for a merit scholarship in the Masters element of the programme only.
- These scholarships are not applicable to any postgraduate courses where the higher clinical fee is applicable. This includes, but is not exclusive to, the following courses:
- DClinDent Orthodontics
- MClinDent in Orthodontics
- DClinDent Endodontics
- MClinDent in Paediatric Dentistry
- DClinDent Periodontics
- MMedSci in Diagnostic Oral Pathology
- DClinDent Prosthodontics
- The University of Sheffield reserves the right to review and change scholarship provision.
This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful. A panel of senior members of staff will select the strongest applications and will be looking for the following:
- Applicant has provided a clear rationale for applying for a course at the University of Sheffield.
- Applicant has clearly articulated future ambitions, these goals relate to the degree they have applied for.
- Applicant has a strong academic profile.
- You must commence your programme at the University of Sheffield in autumn 2021.
- The International Postgraduate Taught Merit Scholarship 2021 cannot be awarded in conjunction with any of the following scholarships:
- International Postgraduate Taught Scholarship 2021
- NCUK Postgraduate Taught Merit Scholarship 2021
- Professor David Locker Scholarship in Social Science, Oral Health and Dentistry 2021
- In the event that you are selected for any of the above scholarships the most valuable award will take precedence.
- The scholarship can be awarded in conjunction with any available scholarships from the Department or Faculty you will be studying in, subject to not becoming a sponsored student*. Please use the funding calculator to find out if any scholarships are available from your Department/Faculty.
- The scholarship cannot be awarded in conjunction with any funding from an external sponsor**, excluding a loan, which has to be paid back in full.
- If you are studying a 2 year Masters programme the scholarship will be available in the second year of your studies subject to successful completion of year 1, and all remaining eligibility and award criteria.
- The scholarship is not applicable to any years in industry or study abroad years that are compulsory or optional elements of your course.
- If you are selected for a merit scholarship and you fail to meet the conditions of your offer you will no longer be eligible to receive the award.
- If you change your Masters programme during your studies your merit scholarship may be forfeited.
- The merit scholarship can be provided for a maximum of 2 full-time academic years. This does not include years in industry or year(s) abroad. For part-time students on programmes that last longer than one year the scholarship the scholarship will be split pro-rata for a maximum of 4 years.
- Part-time students will receive the full value of the scholarship split pro-rata over the duration of the course.
- The scholarship will be applied as a tuition fee discount only, there is no cash alternative.
- The decision of the scholarship panel is final. No scholarship applications or decision appeals will be considered.
- All decisions made by the University are made in good faith. If a scholarship is awarded on the basis of predicted grades and you do not achieve the predicted grades or if the information provided is false, the University reserves the right to remove the scholarship.
- If you are selected for the scholarship, you will be required to pay a tuition fee deposit by a fixed date.
* Sponsored student is defined as an individual who in receipt of a total sum of funds that matches or exceeds the original tuition fee required by the University.
** Government or governmental organisation – international, national or regional; research council; charity; private enterprise; or any similar organisation.
2021 Offer Holder Hub
Visit our dedicated Offer Holder Hub to get all the information and advice you need about joining us later this year.
Explore all postgraduate courses
A masters from Sheffield means in-depth knowledge, advanced skills and the confidence to achieve your ambitions.