Dr Matthew Kurien
MBChB, MRCP, MD, PGDipMedSci
Department of Infection, Immunity and Cardiovascular Disease
Senior Clinical Lecturer in Gastroenterology
Honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist
I qualified in Medicine from the University of Sheffield in 2003. I then undertook general medical training in South Yorkshire, before completing a Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education (University of Nottingham).
In 2010 I was appointed as a Bardhan Research and Education Trust clinical research fellow under the supervision of Professor David Sanders. In 2014 I joined the University of Sheffield as a Clinical Lecturer.
I am now a Senior Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist.
- Research interests
My research interests are in small bowel disease and clinical nutrition, with outputs predominantly in coeliac disease and gastrostomy feeding. Other research interests include gastrointestinal bleeding, bile acid diarrhoea and irritable bowel syndrome.
In coeliac disease my work has focused on detection, using differing endoscopic techniques and point of care tests. I am now examining the autoimmune association between Coeliac disease and Type 1 Diabetes, and also investigating the overlap with non-coeliac gluten sensitivity. In gastrostomy feeding, my research has aimed at improving patient selection for this intervention.
In 2016, I was awarded the Julie Wallace Award by the Nutrition Society for my contributions to this field.
- The use of small-bowel capsule endoscopy in cases of equivocal celiac disease. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. View this article in WRRO
- Should gluten-free foods be available on prescription?. BMJ, 356. View this article in WRRO
- Malnutrition in healthcare settings and the role of gastrostomy feeding. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 76(3), 352-360. View this article in WRRO
- Increased rate of abdominal surgery both before and after diagnosis of celiac disease.. Dig Liver Dis. View this article in WRRO
- Clinical and Immunologic Features of Ultra-short Celiac Disease. Gastroenterology, 150(5), 1125-1134. View this article in WRRO
- Celiac Disease Increases Risk of Thyroid Disease in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: A Nationwide Cohort Study. Diabetes Care, 39(3), 371-375.
- Long-term outcomes in patients diagnosed with bile-acid diarrhoea. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 28(2), 240-245.
- A nationwide population-based study on the risk of coma, ketoacidosis and hypoglycemia in patients with celiac disease and type 1 diabetes. Acta Diabetologica, 52(6), 1167-1174.
- Point-of-care testing for celiac disease has a low sensitivity in endoscopy. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 80(3), 456-462.
- Mortality Among Patients Who Receive or Defer Gastrostomies. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 11(11), 1445-1450.
- Capsule endoscopy in adult celiac disease: a potential role in equivocal cases of celiac disease?. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 77(2), 227-232.
- Managing patients with gastrostomy tubes in the community: Can a dedicated enteral feed dietetic service reduce hospital readmissions?. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 66(6), 757-760.
- Duodenal bulb biopsies for diagnosing adult celiac disease: is there an optimal biopsy site?. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 75(6), 1190-1196.
- National survey evaluating service provision for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy within the UK. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, 46(12), 1519-1524.
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) feeding. BMJ, 340(may07 2), c2414-c2414.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis after percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. BMJ, 341(jul02 2), c2898-c2898.
- Diagnosis and management of nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline. Endoscopy, 47(10), a1-a46.
- Teaching interests
My teaching and other lecture duties cover clinical gastroenterology on both the MBChB and BDS course. I also provide postgraduate teaching to both junior doctors and allied healthcare professionals.
- Professional activities
- British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Trainees Committee member (2014-2017)
- British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Programmes Committee member (2015-2017)
- European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Taskforce leader: Guidelines on non-variceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding (2014-2015)