Dependant visas and visitors

How to apply for a dependant visa and visitor visas if your family or friends want to visit you in the UK.


Dependant visas

Only your partner and children can apply as your dependants.

For more information about the eligibility requirements and application process, visit our pages: 

Applying for a Dependant visa from Outside of the UK

Applying for a Dependant Visa inside the UK

Family and friends visiting you in the UK

If you want your family or friends to visit you in the UK, they’ll need to apply for entry clearance on a standard visit visa. 

With this visa they can stay for up to 6 months, but they cannot work or access free healthcare. 

Children visiting cannot attend state schools, but some study is permitted if the course is less than 6 months. 

For more information visit our page on applying for visit visas.

For more information, visit the government website: 

Government information on visitor visas

Family and friends invitation letter

If you are inviting family or friends to come to visit the UK to join you, you may wish to adapt and provide the template letter below for their visa application. This is for general guidance only and you should amend it to suit your circumstances.

Visitor visa sample letter (Word, 16KB)

Still got questions?

Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.