Dr Amaka Offiah BSc, MBBS, MRCP, FRCR, PhD, FRCPCH
Reader in Paediatric Musculoskeletal Imaging
Department of Oncology & Metabolism
Academic Unit of Child Health
Sheffield Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Sheffield Children's Hospital
Damer Street Building
Sheffield S10 2TH
Office: Room 15, Damer Street Building
Telephone: +44 (0)114 2717557
Fax: +44 (0)114 2755364
Secretary: Gillian Griffiths
Telephone: +44 (0)114 226 0716
My undergraduate training took place in Nigeria.
I obtained my MBBS while working at Oldchurch Hospital, Essex and then trained as a radiologist in Sheffield. I moved back to London, to Great Ormond Street Hospital and the Institute of Child Health, where I obtained a PhD for my thesis, “Optimisation of the digital radiographic imaging of suspected non-accidental injury”.
I returned to Sheffield as a HEFCE-funded Clinical Senior Lecturer in the Academic Unit of Child Health and was promoted to Reader in Paediatric Musculoskeletal Imaging in January 2015.
I am interested in the imaging of suspected child abuse and skeletal dysplasias and in methods of determining which children have fragile bones prone to fracture and which do not. More specifically, I am concentrating on the optimisation of current techniques and development of novel methods of distinguishing brittle from normal bones, in understanding the mechanisms of accidental injury in children, in developing objective imaging biomarkers and normative data for the paediatric musculoskeletal system including post-mortem imaging and in diagnosing fractures in the Emergency Department.
I contribute to the teaching of Radiology Specialist Registrars on rotation at Sheffield Children’s Hospital. I offer SSC and BMedSci attachments to medical students and currently co-supervise 4 PhD students. I give a large number of invited local and national lectures on various radiology, paediatric, genetic, emergency medicine and orthopaedic courses. I am an instructor on the biannual Instructional Course organised by the Skeletal Dysplasia Group for Teaching and Research and helped to develop and then taught on the inaugural national skeletal dysplasia course held in Bangalore, India in August 2010. I have contributed chapters to several well-respected radiology textbooks, and am co-author of two books, “A Radiological Atlas of Child Abuse” and “Fetal and Perinatal Skeletal Dysplasias: An Atlas of Multimodality Imaging”. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I chair both the Child Abuse Taskforce of the European Society of Paediatric Radiologists and the Skeletal Dysplasia Group for Teaching and Research and am Vice-Chair of the Sheffield Research Ethics Committee. I am a Panel Member of the European Skeletal Dysplasia Network (ESDN) and a committee member of the International Consortium for Vertebral Anomalies & Scoliosis. I am a Partner Governor on the Board of Sheffield Children's NHS Foundation Trust, representing the University of Sheffield, and sit on various other committees including the Sheffield Children's Hospital Scientific Advisory Committee and Sheffield Children's Hospital Research Committee. I act as an expert witness for the courts in cases of suspected child abuse.
- Biomechanics of fractures in children
- COMBAT: COMputerised Bone Age Tool
- Post-mortem computerized tomography in children
- Vertebral fracture diagnosis in children
- HRpQCT in osteogenesis imperfecta
- Bone response to exercise and vitamin D
- Assessment of visual expertise
- Relationship between vitamin D levels, radiographic rickets and fractures
- Imaging in suspected child physical abuse
- Development of a dynamic Radiological Electronic Atlas of Malformation Syndromes (dREAMS)
Recent Key Publications
- Alshamrani K, Messina F, Offiah AC Is the Greulich & Pyle atlas applicable to all ethnicities? A systematic review and meta-analysis Eur Radiol Jan 2019; DOI 10.1007/s00330-018-5792-5
- Alqahtani FF, Offiah AC Diagnosis of osteoporotic vertebral fractures in children Pediat Radiol doi 10.1007/s00247-018-4279-5
- Offiah AC, Vockley J, Munns CF, Murotsuki J Differential diagnosis of perinatal hypophosphatasia: radiologic perspectives Pediatr Radiol Jan 2019;49:3-22 doi: 10.1007/s00247-018-4239-0
- Yates TM, Ng OH, Offiah AC, Willoughby J, DDD study, Berg JN, Johnson DS Cerebrofaciothoracic dysplasia: four new patients with a recurrent TMCO1 pathogenic variant Am J Med Genet Part A Dec 2018; DOI 10.1002/ajmg.a.60678
- Alshamrani K, Messina F, Bishop NJ Offiah AC Estimating bone mass in children: can bone health index replace dual energy x-ray absorptiometry? Pediatr Radiol Nov 2018; DOI 10.1007/s00247-018-4309-3
- Porter-Young FM, Offiah AC, Broadley P, Lang I, McMahon AM, Howsley P, Hawley DP Inter- and intra-observer reliability of contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging parameters in children with suspected juvenile idiopathic arthritis of the hip Pediatr Radiol Nov 2018;48:1891-1900 doi: 10.1007/s00247-018-4216-7
- Tong L, Gopal-Kothandapani JS, Offiah AC Feasibility of quantitative ultrasonography for the detection of metabolic bone disease in preterm infants – a systematic review Pediatr Radiol Oct 2018;48:1537-1549 doi: 10.1007/s00247-018-4161-5
- Ben Taher M, Pearson J, Cohen M, Offiah AC Acceptability of post-mortem imaging among Muslim and non-Muslim communities Br J Radiol Aug 2018 91: 20180295 doi: 10.1259/bjr.20180295
- Choudhary AK, Servaes S, Slovis TL, Palusci VJ, Hedlund GL, Narang SK, Moreno JA, Dias MS, Christian CW, Nelson MD Jr, Silvera VM, Palasis S, Raissaki M, Rossi A, Offiah AC Consensus statement on abusive head trauma in infants and young children Pediatr Radiol Aug 2018;48:1048-1065
- Thyoka M, Adekunle O, Pilkington C, Walters S, Arthurs OJ, Humphries P, Johnson K, Kraft J, Landes C, Persaud T, Sinha R, Offiah AC Introduction of a novel magnetic resonance imaging-based scoring system for assessing disease activity in children with juvenile dermatomyositis Rheumatol Jun 2018;57:1661-1668 doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/key144