The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students. For entry in 2019-20, each Faculty is offering a number of University Post Graduate Research Committee Scholarships on a competitive basis.
Applications are now open for University Postgraduate Committee, Hossein Farmy, China Scholarship Council and ESRC White Rose DTP scholarships for the 2019-20 academic year.
The deadline for applying for scholarships is Wednesday 23 January at 17.00 (GMT).
Each Faculty can offer a range of UPGRC awards which may include:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the RCUK rate (full-time rate £14,777 in 2018-19)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half or partial maintenance stipend
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- A contribution towards fees and/or maintenance
- Access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three years full-time or six years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress. Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in academic year 2019-20 (after 1 October 2019).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/department expertise.
Applications for University funded PhD Scholarships are submitted through the University's Postgraduate Online Application system.