University of Sheffield Research Scholarships
The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students.
Applications for PhD scholarships for the 2021/22 academic year will re-open later in the year. Please keep checking this page for more information
Each Faculty can offer a range of University of Sheffield Research Scholarships which may include all or some of:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the UKRI rate (full-time rate £15,009 in 2019-20)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half or partial maintenance stipend
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- A contribution towards fees and/or maintenance
- Access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three and a half years full-time or seven years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress.
Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in academic year 2020-21 (after 1 October 2020).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/department expertise.
Applications for University funded PhD Scholarships are submitted through the University's Postgraduate Online Application system.