University of Sheffield Research Scholarships
The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students.
Applications for PhD scholarships scholarships for the 2020-21 academic year are now closed. In the interest of fairness, late applications will not be accepted. Decisions will be issued in the coming months. If you've not heard the outcome of your application by 30 April 2020 please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each Faculty can offer a range of University of Sheffield Research Scholarships which may include all or some of:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the UKRI rate (full-time rate £15,009 in 2019-20)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half or partial maintenance stipend
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- A contribution towards fees and/or maintenance
- Access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three and a half years full-time or seven years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress.
Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in academic year 2020-21 (after 1 October 2020).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/department expertise.
Applications for University funded PhD Scholarships are submitted through the University's Postgraduate Online Application system.