University of Sheffield Research Scholarships
Applications for the University of Sheffield Research Scholarships for 2023/24 entry to the Faculties of Engineering, Social Sciences, and Medicine, Dentistry & Health are open. The Faculties of Arts & Humanities and Science are not offering these scholarships for 2023/24 entry.
Applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/department expertise.
Faculties can offer a range of University of Sheffield Research Scholarships which may include all or some of:
- Fees (UK or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the UKRI rate (currently £17,668 for 2022/23)
- Fees (UK or Overseas) and a half or partial maintenance stipend
- Fees only (UK or Overseas)
- A contribution towards fees and/or maintenance stipend
- Access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three and a half years full-time or seven years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress.
Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD in the 2023/24 academic year.
- Awards are open to Home and International applicants.
How to apply
All applicants are required to submit a study application via the Postgraduate Online Application Form.
Applicants must select a start date of no earlier than 1st September 2023.
Applicants to the Faculties of Engineering and Social Science must ensure that they complete the additional 'Scholarship Application' section of the Postgraduate Online Application Form. This section of the form is only accessible to those who select a PhD start date of 1 September 2023 or later. Applicants to the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health should visit this page for instructions.
The central scholarship deadline is 5pm GMT on 25 January 2023. Some departments have earlier internal deadlines by which they need to have received your application. Please ensure that you have consulted your department so you are aware of their deadline.