The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students. For entry in 2019-20, each Faculty is offering a number of University Post Graduate Research Committee Scholarships on a competitive basis.
Applications are now closed for University Postgraduate Committee, Hossein Farmy, China Scholarship Council and ESRC White Rose DTP scholarships for the 2019-20 academic year.
In the interests of fairness late applications will not be accepted.
Results will be issued to applicants as soon as possible as the different funding streams allow. We aim to issue all outcomes by 30 April 2019.
Each Faculty can offer a range of UPGRC awards which may include:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the RCUK rate (full-time rate £14,777 in 2018-19)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half or partial maintenance stipend
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- A contribution towards fees and/or maintenance
- Access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three years full-time or six years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress. Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in academic year 2019-20 (after 1 October 2019).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/department expertise.
Applications for University funded PhD Scholarships are submitted through the University's Postgraduate Online Application system.