China Scholarship Council – University of Sheffield PhD programme 2018/19
This scheme provides academically excellent Chinese students with the opportunity to study for a PhD at the University of Sheffield. The scholarships are supported jointly by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Sheffield. The Sheffield scheme for 2018/19 entry is now open.
The scholarship will cover University tuition fees, a grant for living costs and one return flight from China to the UK. Funding for each award will be up to 48 months. Successful candidates will be expected to have submitted their thesis and defended it via oral examination by month 48. The fees are provided by the University of Sheffield.
You must be applying to start a new full-time PhD programme at Sheffield.
You must be a national of and ordinarily resident in mainland China (not including Hong Kong or Macau). You must also be intending to return to China once your programme is completed. You will require an unconditional offer from the University of Sheffield so will be required to meet both academic and English language criteria.
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit, and the fit of the applicant’s proposed research programme with Sheffield’s identified research priorities:
• Health, demographic change and wellbeing
• Food security, sustainable agriculture and the bioeconomy
• Secure, clean and efficient energy
• Smart, green and integrated transport
• Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
• The changing world – inclusive, innovative and reflective societies
• Secure societies – protecting freedom and security of citizens
Candidates should be intending to pursue research in one of the priority academic areas identified by Sheffield and CSC. However, applicants to other study/research areas will also be considered subject to the availability of relevant programmes of study at Sheffield.
Process for applications
In order to be considered for this scholarship you must:
1. Apply for postgraduate research at Sheffield
2. Apply for a scholarship from Sheffield. Please note the scholarship applications are now open and close on Wednesday 24th January 2018, 5pm UK time. To be offered a China Scholarship Council scholarship, applicants must have an unconditional offer in place, therefore please ensure you apply for postgraduate research early.
Applicants must be successful with applications to Sheffield and to the CSC in order to be accepted on this scholarship programme.
You will need a visa to study in the UK, further is information is available here.