Advanced Control and Systems Engineering (with Industry)
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering
This version of our flagship course includes a 12-month work placement. In the first year, you’ll take basic and advanced modules. In the second year, you’ll put your knowledge and skills to work.
We’ll give you training in research skills. You’ll carry out an extended research project with a dissertation. You’ll also write a report and give a presentation based on your work placement.
- Foundations of Control Systems
- State-Space, Optimal Control and Nonlinear Systems
- Signal Processing and Estimation
- Embedded Systems and Rapid Control Prototyping
- Managing Engineering Projects and Risk
- Design Innovation Toolbox
- Professional Responsibilities of the Engineer
- Control Systems Project and Dissertation
Choose from a range of optional modules. These might include:
- Advanced Industrial Control
- Robotic and Autonomous Systems
- Intelligent and Vision Systems
- Multisensor and Decision Systems
- Nonlinear and Hybrid Systems
- Laboratory work
- Individual assignments
You will be assessed via:
- Coursework assignments
- Project dissertation
2 years full-time
You’ll be an engineering, mathematics or science honours graduate with a 2: 1 degree. You’ll also need to have excellent mathematical notation and basic computer programming skills.
You’ll need to provide a statement about your proposed work placement addressing the following questions:
- Tell us about the industry you want to work in.
- How does control and systems engineering relate to this industry?
- What do you hope to contribute, as a placement student, to this industry or company?
You may also have a telephone or Skype interview with the admissions tutor.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 7.5 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5644
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.