Advanced Professional Practice
Department of Sociological Studies,
Faculty of Social Sciences
The MA Advanced Professional Practice (MAAPP) has been developed in consultation with local authorities as part of the South Yorkshire Teaching Partnership, to support social work professionals to continue to develop their knowledge and skills as professionally capable, reflective and analytical practitioners.
The course supports professional practice under four strands:
- Leadership and management
- Practice educator
Each module developed for the programme has been mapped against the Government’s reform agenda for social work education, and is compliant with capabilities listed in the Knowledge and Skills Statement (KSS) for Social Workers.
The award you receive will depend upon the number of credits you complete:
- 60 credits - postgraduate certificate
- 120 credits - postgraduate diploma
- The full award will be a Master of Arts Degree in Advanced Professional Practice upon successful completion of 180 credits, which must include the 60 credit dissertation
Topics covered include:
- Out of Home Care
- Developing Professional Practice and Safeguarding
- Interventions to Promote Change
- Child Development and Communication with Children
- Parenting Capacity
- Research in Professional Practice
- Introduction to Leadership and Mentoring
- Practice Learning Educator: Stage one
- Practice Learning Educator: Stage two
- Assessed and Supported Year in Employment
- Dissertation in professional practice with children and their families
Teaching is conducted through a combination of:
- Small-group work and problem-solving
3 years part-time
For graduates, the requirement is that you must be in possession of a professional qualification from a recognised university.
We also welcome non-graduates who possess a professional qualification and can provide evidence that they can study at postgraduate level.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 6402
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.