Advancing Practice (Modular Framework)
School of Nursing and Midwifery,
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
This course is aimed at busy professionals working in clinical practice and service improvement. It’s designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to advance your career.
The modular framework means you can take a flexible approach, studying part-time, for up to five years. You can build your own masters degree as you go, focusing on subjects that are relevant to your area and your own personal needs.
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Methods of Inquiry
- Advanced Renal Nursing Practice
- Advancing Autonomous Practice
- Cancer Pathophysiology and Therapeutics
- Care and Management of the Renal Patient
- Context and Concepts in Advancing Practice
- Living With and Beyond Cancer
- Managing Diabetes as a Long-Term Health Condition
- Managing Heart Failure as a Long-Term Health Condition
- Managing Respiratory Disease as a Long-Term Condition
- Nurse/Midwifery Independent/Supplementary Prescribing
- Recognising and Responding to Patient Deterioration
- Relationship-Centred Dementia Care
- Theorising Dementia and the UK Policy Context
- Palliative and End of Life Care
- Preparation of Supervisors of Midwives
- Psychosocial Approaches to the Care and Treatment of People with Dementia
You’ll learn through lectures, seminars, small-group work and clinical instruction, plus specialist sessions with expert speakers. The dissertation is by supervised tutorial.
Each taught unit is assessed by written assignment, OSCE, presentations or examination. The final unit is an extended project or literature review, leading to a dissertation or workplace study.
2-5 years part-time
You’ll need to be a qualified health care professional and have a minimum 2:2 degree.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent
Fees and funding
If you already work with NHS patients in Yorkshire and the Humber or in the East Midlands, funding might be available. Contact us for more information.
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 2054
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.