Architectural Engineering Design
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering
This course produces building services professionals, environmental design specialists, and low-carbon built environment practitioners who can design and construct buildings creatively and innovatively to reduce the environmental impacts of construction practices and meet tightening environmental performance targets.
It covers thermodynamics and energy use in buildings, e cient structural design, material selection including low impact materials, simulation tools to model the indoor environment, thermal modelling, airflow analysis and urban microclimate design.
This degree is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited undergraduate first degree. See the Joint Board of Moderators website for more details.
Example core modules:
- Building Environmental Simulation and Analysis
- Principles of Building Physics for Sustainable Design
- Thermodynamics for Buildings
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Architectural Engineering Design Project
- Urban Microclimate
- Design for a Sustainable Environment
- Civil Engineering Research Proposal
- Advanced Engineering Research Study
Example optional modules:
- Materials for Low Impact Buildings - Theory
- Elements of Computational Design I
- Building Information Modelling, Management and Analysis
- Lectures by academic staff
- Design tutorials
- Design projects
- Computational tutorials
- Lab work
- Industrial seminars
- Advanced engineering research study (dissertation)
Some modules engage our industrial partners, laboratory work and site visits.
September–June: taught modules and preparation for your dissertation.
June–August: complete your dissertation. Your Advanced Engineering Research Study gives you the opportunity to work with an academic on a piece of research in a subdiscipline. We’ll give you training in research skills.
1 year full-time
Minimum 2:1 honours degree in a relevant subject.
We’ll consider your application if you have appropriate professional qualifications and work experience, but you'll need a strong background in the areas covered on the course.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5711
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.