Health Informatics (Distance Learning)
Faculty of Social Sciences
This CILIP-accredited course is aimed at health care professionals who want to improve services in their sector by getting more out of information and communication technologies. It’s taught online so you can fit it around your work.
Alongside the more specialised knowledge, you’ll acquire valuable transferable skills such as presentation and report writing. We can also help you develop leadership and management capabilities.
First year students take part in an online induction before the course starts. The rest of the course uses specialised software to deliver lectures, seminars and tutorials online, in real time. In the final year, you’ll complete a research dissertation, supervised by an academic.
This course is accredited by CILIP
- Analysis of Health Information
- Evidence-based Practice and Health Care Information
- The Internet, Web and E-Health
- Information and Knowledge Management
- Information Systems in Health
- Introduction to Health Informatics
- Research Methods and Dissertation Preparation
- Public Health Informatics
- Leadership, Strategy and Change
- Information Governance and Ethics
You'll be taught through:
- Practical laboratory classes
- Group work
- Online discussion
- Case studies
- Lectures by visiting speakers
You’ll be assessed using a wide variety of methods including:
- Small projects
- In-class tests
- Group work
- Research-based dissertation
- 2 years part-time by distance learning
- 3 years part-time by distance learning
Entry requirements are flexible. You’ll need a combination of an honours degree in a science, technology, medical or health subject, experience in using computer systems, and work experience in the health sector.
If you don’t have a degree but you have a lot of relevant work experience, you could apply to take the certificate or the diploma. If you make good progress, you could go on to the full MSc.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each component.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 2646
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.