Faculty of Social Sciences
This CILIP-accredited course focuses on the theoretical and practical skills you need for a career in information management.The aim is to make you into the kind of person employers are looking for: information literate with the organisational and technical know-how to design, implement, and manage information environments in support of organisational goals.
You’ll acquire valuable transferable skills such as presentation and report writing. We can help develop your skills as an information leader.
If you’re an experienced professional, you could consider taking the Professional Enhancement Programme.
Professional Enhancement Programme
The Professional Enhancement Programme is designed for experienced professionals. The emphasis is on helping you re-evaluate the way you work in the context of new and emerging ideas.
As an experienced professional, you’ll take fewer core modules than students who are starting from scratch. This leaves you free to choose more optional modules, so you can focus on what’s most relevant to you in your job.
This course is CILIP accedited
- Information and Knowledge Management
- Information Governance and Ethics
- Information Retrieval: Search Engines and Digital Libraries
- Information Systems in Organisations
- Research Methods and Dissertation Preparation
Choose from a range of modules including:
- Database Design
- Information Systems Project Management
- Researching Social Media
- Digital Advocacy
- Business Intelligence
- Academic and Workplace Library, Information and Knowledge Services
- Archives and Records Management
- E-Business and E-Commerce
- Information Systems Modelling
- Designing Usable Websites
- ICTs, Innovation and Change
You can expect a mix of:
- Practical laboratory classes
- Group work
- Online discussion
- Case studies
- Lectures by visiting speakers
You'll be assessed using a wide variety of methods including:
- Small projects
- In-class tests
- Group work
- Research-based dissertation
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
- 3 years part-time
You'll need at least a 2:1 in any subject.
If you don’t have a first degree, but you have other qualifications and relevant work experience, you may be able to take the PGDip or PGCert.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each component or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 2646
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.