Nanomaterials and Materials Science
Department of Materials Science and Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering
The course is designed to equip students with the know-how and skills for becoming an expert in materials science with nanotechnology specialisation.
We provide a foundation semester in the general area of science and engineering of materials, followed by a nanoscience and nanotechnology-specific semester to give you comprehensive nanomaterials expertise. The course content reflects the highly interdisciplinary nature of this subject and allows students to specialise via options, and a major project.
- Science of Materials
- Materials Processing and Characterisation
- Practical, Modelling and Digital Skills
- Nanoscale Magnetic Materials and Devices
- Nanostructures and Nanostructuring
- Functional Nano- and Bio-nanomaterials
- Heat and Materials with Application
- Research Project in an area of your choice
- Design and Manufacture of Composites
- Structure and Physical Properties of Dental and Bio-materials
- Materials for Energy Applications
Working alongside students and staff from across the globe, you’ll tackle real-world projects, and attend lectures, seminars and laboratory classes delivered by academic and industry experts.
You’ll be assessed by formal examinations, coursework assignments and a dissertation.
1 year full-time
A good honours degree in materials, a physical science (chemistry or physics) or a related engineering subject.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5941
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.