Process Safety and Loss Prevention
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering
Whether you’re already working in the field or just starting out, this course will deepen your understanding and equip you with skills and expertise in process safety, loss prevention and risk assessment. You’ll be ready for a career in the oil and gas, chemical, nuclear and pharmaceutical industries, or with any of the consultancies that service them.
Full-time or part-time
This course is available full-time or part-time. Each module can be taken as a short course – useful if you’re already working in industry.
Part-time students need to complete all modules within two years. You can take an extra third year to complete your dissertation if you need to – we won’t charge fees for that year. Modules are delivered about once per month from September to June. Each module is four days long. You must therefore attend for 32 days in total.
Accredited by the the Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Process Safety Management and Loss Prevention
- Introduction to Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment
- Hazards in Process Plant Design and Operation
- Dissertation (for MSc)
Choose from a range of optional modules. These might include:
- Process Plant Reliability and Maintainability
- Human Error and Human Behaviour
- Applied Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOP)
- Safety in Nuclear Operations
- Instrumented Systems and Functional Safety
- Process Safety in the Oil and Gas Industry
- Process Safety in Pharmaceutical, Food and Consumer Products
- Major Hazards and Emergency Planning
- Process Safety in the Chemical Industry
We use a mixture of lessons and discussions, real-life case studies, workshops and hands-on computer sessions.
Continuous assessment is based on assignments for each module, and a dissertation.
- Diploma: 9 months full-time
- MSc(Eng): 1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
What I like most about my course is that it’s totally applied to industry: it’s very practical and the lecturers have a lot of industry experience. I love that with my work I can avoid big accidents occurring and save lives and the environment.
A good honours degree in science, technology or engineering.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
Contact us for current information on available scholarships.
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 7500
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.