Advanced Computer Science
Department of Computer Science,
Faculty of Engineering
Turn your fascination with how things work into a successful career in business or industry. We’ll give you an advanced education in the most up-to-date aspects of computer science and software engineering, informed by our wide-ranging research interests. Innovative project work will teach you how to apply your knowledge in the real world.
Applying for this course
Due to the popularity of this course we have introduced a staged admissions process to assess applications for entry in September 2020. You'll still apply in the usual way, using our Postgraduate Online Application Form.
Accredited by the British Computer Society
- Object-Oriented Programming and Software Design
- Research Methods and Professional Issues
- Dissertation Project
- Machine Learning and Adaptive Intelligence
- Team Software Project.
Choose from a range of optional modules. These might include:
- Text Processing
- Modelling and Simulation of Natural Systems
- Speech Processing
- Theory of Distributed Systems
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Computer Security and Forensics
- Testing and Verification in Safety-Critical Systems
- The Intelligent Web
- Software and Hardware Verification
- Software Development for Mobile Devices
- Speech Technology
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Performance Analysis
- Parallel Computing with Graphical Processing Units (GPUs)
- Software Re-Engineering
We use lectures, tutorials and group work.
Assessment is by formal examinations, coursework assignments and a dissertation.
1 year full-time
Minimum 2:1 honours degree in computer science, software engineering or a closely related subject.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
+44 114 222 1800
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.