Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering
Electronic and electrical engineering is a broad and rapidly expanding set of disciplines. Building on core teaching in electrical machines, electronic materials, and the way that electronic circuits interact, this course will allow you to choose from a wide range of optional modules from all our active research areas to tailor your learning in a way that meets with your requirements.
This course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
Major Research Project
- AC Machines
- Advanced Control of Electric Devices
- Energy Storage Management
- Motion Control and Servo Drives
- Permanent Magnet Machines and Actuators
- Power Electronic Converters
- Power Semiconductor Devices
- Advanced Computer Systems
- Advanced Integrated Electronics
- Advanced Signal Processing
- Semiconductor Materials
- Principles of Semiconductor Device Technology
- Packaging and Reliability of Microsystems
- Nanoscale Electronic Devices
- Energy Efficient Semiconductor Devices
- Optical Communication Devices and Systems
- Computer Vision
- Electronic Communication Technologies
- Data Coding Techniques for Communications and Storage
- Principles of Communications
- Antennas, Propagation and Satellite Systems
- Mobile Networks and Physical Layer Protocols
- System Design
- Broadband Wireless Techniques
- Wireless Packet Data Networks and Protocols
We deliver research-led teaching with individual support for your research project and dissertation.
Assessment is by examinations, coursework and a project dissertation with poster presentation.
1 year full-time
I chose the University of Sheffield due to its great reputation for engineering courses. More specifically, I chose electrical engineering because I had conducted an electronics based final year project for my undergraduate degree. I wanted to continue studying electronics and gain further knowledge in the field.
A 2:1 honours degree in electronic and electrical engineering, physics, maths or any other branch of engineering involving significant mathematical competence.
We will also consider your application if you have a 2:2 or equivalent, or industry experience.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5442
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.