International Health Technology Assessment and Reimbursement (Online)
School of Health and Related Research,
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
This is the only online course offering the full range of skills needed by those developing health technologies for markets across the globe.
The course is taught by experts who work directly with the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) on health technology appraisals.
You’ll gain an understanding of the entire HTA process alongside practical insights into the markets, pricing and customers needed for new product development in the healthcare industry. If you’re already working or aspire to work in the field of health technology assessment, health economics or market access, this course will give you the training you need to progress in your career or gain a post as a health technology evaluator or commissioner.
The course is suited to those working in the pharmaceutical, medical devices or diagnostics industries worldwide, or within health technology policy formulation, management and evidence-based commissioning and purchasing. You will gain a comprehensive understanding of the processes and contexts of markets, pricing and customers needed for new product development in multiple jurisdictions.
Continuing Professional Development
All modules on this course can be studied as standalone CPD modules. It is possible to complete standalone modules and then apply to transfer to an MSc/PGDip/PGCert qualification. Any time spent on the CPD route counts toward the time-limit a student has to complete their chosen qualification.
Our teaching combines three key elements:
- Authentic learning: we use real-world, real-life, up-to-date case studies, examples and scenarios. You can immediately see how your learning is "authentic" and applicable to your own working life
- Social learning: We learn from each other as much as from purely independent study. This course uses multiple tools to deliver content and facilitate interaction with and between tutors and students
- Flexibility: The majority of the online reading materials are heavily supplemented with videos, screencasts, internet-based materials, and the use of interactive online tools. Materials are provided in blocks or "sessions" of usually 2-3 weeks duration.
Assessment is by coursework and project work.
MSc or PG Diploma: 2-5 years, part-time
PG Certificate: 1-2 years, part-time
Our graduates typically work for
- Large and small, national and international pharmaceutical and devices companies
- Health economics consultancies (including being self-employed in this capacity)
- Health care providers and hospital organisations
- Government departments, ministries and agencies
- HTA agencies
Our students live and work all over the world. They are seeking to develop key skills to enhance their careers within HTA, market access, trial design and other aspects of health technology assessment in the private or public sector.
2:1 honours degree in a related subject.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5454
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.