Advanced Computer Science
Department of Computer Science,
Faculty of Engineering
Accredited by the British Computer Society
Turn your fascination with how things work into a successful career in business or industry. We’ll give you an advanced education in the most up-to-date aspects of computer science and software engineering, informed by our wide-ranging research interests. Innovative project work will teach you how to apply your knowledge in the real world.
- Object-Oriented Programming and Software Design
- Research Methods and Professional Issues
- Dissertation Project
- Machine Learning and Adaptive Intelligence
- Team Software Project
Choose from a range of optional modules. These might include:
- Text Processing
- Modelling and Simulation of Natural Systems
- Speech Processing
- Theory of Distributed Systems
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Computer Security and Forensics
- Testing and Verification in Safety-Critical Systems
- The Intelligent Web
- Software and Hardware Verification
- Software Development for Mobile Devices
- Speech Technology
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Performance Analysis
- Parallel Computing with Graphical Processing Units (GPUs)
- Software Re-Engineering
We use lectures, tutorials and group work.
Assessment is by formal examinations, coursework assignments and a dissertation.
1 year full-time
Minimum 2:1 honours degree in computer science, software engineering or a closely related subject.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
+44 114 222 1800
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.