Dr Kate Ren BSc (York), MPhil (Cantab), PhD (Sheffield)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0696
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined HEDS in 2011 after completing a PhD in Probability and Statistics specialising in Bayesian methods in clinical trial design at the University Of Sheffield. I specialise in the development and application of Bayesian method in health economics, and the elicitation of experts' beliefs.
Check out the Excel workbook for sampling ordered parameters in PSA
In health economic models, uncertain ordered parameters are common, for example, a patient's utility in a healthy state should be higher than in a diseased state. All probabilistic sensitivity analysis samples should exhibit the logical order of the given parameters. Typical sampling approaches lack either statistical or clinical validity. We have developed a new method, the Difference Method approach, which solves this type of problem more effectively than existing approaches. An Open Access manuscript "A new approach for sampling ordered parameters in probabilistic sensitivity analysis" by Ren et al. is available at link.springer.com/ via dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40273-017-0584-3. The Excel workbook for sampling ordered parameters can be found from the online supplementary material.
- Bayesian statistics in clinical trials and health economics
- Network meta-analysis
- Extrapolate time-to-event data
- Eliciting probability distributions
- Value of information analysis
My teaching interests lie in medical statistics and evidence synthesis.
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS): behaviour modification interventions in primary care settings
- Infliximab, adalimumab and golimumab for treating moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis after the failure of conventional therapy: Clinical effectiveness systematic review and economic model
- Methods for the use of non-randomised studies in evidence synthesis
- Martyn-St James M, Cooper K, Ren S, Kaltenthaler E, Dickinson K, Cantrell A, Wylie K, Frodsham L & Hood C (2017) Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors for premature ejaculation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. Eur Urol Focus, 3(1), 119-129. View this article in WRRO
- Bojke L, Manca A, Asaria M, Mahon R, Ren S & Palmer S (2017) How to Appropriately Extrapolate Costs and Utilities in Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. PharmacoEconomics. View this article in WRRO
- Jackson C, Stevens J, Ren S, Latimer N, Bojke L, Manca A & Sharples L (2017) Extrapolating Survival from Randomized Trials Using External Data: A Review of Methods. Medical Decision Making, 37(4), 377-390. View this article in WRRO
- Uttley L, Whyte S, Gomersall T, Ren S, Wong R, Chambers D & Tappenden P (2016) Degarelix for Treating Advanced Hormone-Dependent Prostate Cancer: An Evidence Review Group Perspective of a NICE Single Technology Appraisal.. PharmacoEconomics. View this article in WRRO
- Tappenden P, Ren S, Archer R, Harvey R, Martyn-St James M, Basarir H, Stevens J, Lobo A & Hoque S (2016) A Model-Based Economic Evaluation of Biologic and Non-Biologic Options for the Treatment of Adults with Moderately-to-Severely Active Ulcerative Colitis after the Failure of Conventional Therapy. PharmacoEconomics, 34(10), 1023-1038. View this article in WRRO
- Harnan S, Ren S, Gomersall T, hock , sutton A, Dhanasiri S & Kulasekararaj A (2016) Association between Transfusion Status and Overall Survival in Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndromes: A Systematic Literature Review and Meta-Analysis. Acta Haematologica, 136(1), 23-42. View this article in WRRO
- Archer R, Tappenden P, Ren S, Martyn-St James M, Harvey R, Basarir H, Stevens J, Carroll C, Cantrell A, Lobo A & Hoque S (2016) Infliximab, adalimumab and golimumab for treating moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis after the failure of conventional therapy (including a review of TA140 and TA262): clinical effectiveness systematic review and economic model. Health Technology Assessment, 20(39), 1-326. View this article in WRRO
- Leaviss J, Sullivan W, Ren S, Everson-Hock E, Stevenson M, Stevens JW, Strong M & Cantrell A (2014) What is the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of cytisine compared with varenicline for smoking cessation? A systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 18(33), 1-120.
- Ren S & Oakley JE (2014) Assurance calculations for planning clinical trials with time-to-event outcomes. Statistics in Medicine, 33(1), 31-45. View this article in WRRO
- Uttley L, Kearns B, Ren S & Stevenson M (2013) Aripiprazole for the treatment and prevention of acute manic and mixed episodes in bipolar I disorder in children and adolescents: a NICE single technology appraisal.. Pharmacoeconomics, 31(11), 981-990.
- Carroll C, Hummel S, Leaviss J, Ren S, Stevens JW, Everson-Hock E, Cantrell A, Stevenson M & Michaels J (2013) Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of minimally invasive techniques to manage varicose veins: a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 17(48), i-141.
- Ren S, Minton J, Whyte S, Latimer N & Stevenson M () A new approach for sampling ordered parameters in probabilistic sensitivity analysis. PharmacoEconomics. View this article in WRRO