'R' for Health Economic Modelling
Next date TBC
There are currently no dates for this course. If you would like to register your interest, please complete this form and we will be in touch when we have new dates:
This one-day course provides a basic introduction to, and overview of the use of the free statistical software, R, which includes:
- working with the RStudio interface
- understanding different types and classes of objects
- importing data, basic manipulation and summary statistics
- linear regression.
Who will benefit from the course?
This course is aimed at individuals with little or no experience in R. The course is delivered in tutorial format, with short periods of demonstration followed by practical activities and time for questions. Those with previous experience with Excel VBA, STATA, SPSS and other software may find they progress faster than others, but no prior knowledge is expected. Similarly, a basic knowledge of statistics is advantageous, but not essential.
After this course you should be able to:
- know the benefits and limitations of R
- navigate RStudio
- import and manipulate different types of data in R
- write scripts to allow for replication of analysis
- summarise & plot data, plot results from a simple linear regression
- know where to find further information.
- Dates and times
Dates and times TBC
The fee for this course is £199.
Current UOS Staff/Students
Current members of University of Sheffield staff and current University of Sheffield students are eligible to book this course at a reduced rate. An active @sheffield.ac.uk email address is required to book at this reduced rate. Please see Booking and payment section for further details.
- Booking and payment
Payment can be made via credit / debit card or PayPal. Please visit the Online Store to make your booking.
Non-University of Sheffield applicants - If your employer is paying your fees and they require an invoice, please ensure you have your purchase order details before making your booking.
Current University of Sheffield staff and students – If you would prefer to be invoiced or to pay via an internal transfer, a purchase order will be required before you make your booking. Please contact your department administrator or finance team for help with this.
Difficulties making your booking?
If you are having difficulties making your booking, please contact the Online Store directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Course delivery and requirements
The course will be delivered via the University’s Blackboard platform.
- Reliable and stable internet connection.
- A PC or laptop with a mouse (a USB mouse is recommended for ease of completing exercises in-class).
- Webcam and microphone (preferably a USB headset)
- A quiet room where there will be no/minimal disruption.
- Ability to access Google Sites and other Microsoft/Google Software and Blackboard (ensure there are no firewalls preventing access).
For further information please do not hesitate to contact us:
Email at email@example.com
The content of our courses is reviewed annually to make sure it is up-to-date and relevant. Individual modules are occasionally updated or withdrawn. This is in response to discoveries through our world-leading research, funding changes, professional accreditation requirements, student or employer feedback, outcomes of reviews, and variations in staff or student numbers. In the event of any change we'll consult and inform students in good time and take reasonable steps to minimise disruption.
Information last updated: 21 September 2023