Dr Steve Robertson PhD, BSc, RGN, RHV
Programme Director, RCN Research Alliance
Office located at:
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkehouse Road
Sheffield S10 2LA
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 2624
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
My clinical background was 17 years in critical care nursing and public health nursing (health visiting) before I commenced an applied research career. My main interests are around social theories of gender and masculinity and the application of these to public health and health promotion. Conceptually, I have particular interest in Critical Realism, the work of Pierre Bourdieu and in the theory and practice of Thematic Analysis. I have extensive experience evaluating a range of health promotion and self-care interventions. In 2007, I wrote what has become a seminal text, ‘Understanding Men and Health’. I have worked with fellow academics, policy makers and practitioners in Australia, the United States, Canada and Europe. In 2016, I became an Adjunct (Visiting) Professor at Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland and in 2017 became Emeritus Professor at Leeds Beckett University. I am currently Programme Director on the University of Sheffield/RCN Alliance Research Programme.
Gender, masculinities and health; research skills and methods; the sociology of health & illness; health promotion. I have a strong track record in Master’s level dissertation supervision, in Doctoral supervision and completion and have mentored at Post-Doctoral level.
I am Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Men’s Social & Community Health and Section Editor, Mental Health, American Journal of Men's Health.
I have reviewed for a wide range of national and international grant awarding bodies including Nationally: the ESRC; NIHR; Health & Social Care Research & Development Office, Northern Ireland; The Prostate Cancer Charity; British Academy/Leverhulme; BUPA Foundation; Chief Scientist Office, Scotland. Internationally: Swedish Research Council; Health Research Board, Ireland; Canadian Institute of Health Research; Australian Research Council.
In 2017 I accepted an invitation to become a member of the Council of Reviewers for the Canadian Institute of Health Research. I am a member of the British Sociological Association and have acted as a consultant on gender and men’s health to the UK Department of Health and to WHO (Europe).
- Robertson S (2007) Understanding Men And Health: Masculinities, Identity And Well-Being Masculinity, Identity and Well-being. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Oliffe JL, Rice S, Kelly MT, Ogrodniczuk JS, Broom A, Robertson S & Black N (2019) A mixed-methods study of the health-related masculine values among young Canadian men. Psychology of Men and Masculinities, 20(3), 310-323. View this article in WRRO
- Robinson M, Hanna E, Raine G & Robertson S (2019) Extending the Comfort Zone: Building Resilience in Older People With Long-Term Conditions. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 38(6), 825-848. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S, Carroll P, Donohoe A, Richardson N, Keohane A, Kelly L & Harrison M (2018) “The Environment Was Like They Were in the Pub But With No Alcohol”: A Process Evaluation of Engagement and Sustainability in Men On The Move an Irish Community Based Physical Activity Intervention. International Journal of Men's Social & Community Health, 1(1). View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S, Gough B, Hanna E, Raine G, Robinson M, Seims A & White A (2018) Successful mental health promotion with men: the evidence from ‘tacit knowledge’. Health Promotion International, 33(2), 334-344. View this article in WRRO
- Mackenzie CS, Roger K, Robertson S, Oliffe JL, Nurmi MA & Urquhart J (2017) Counter and Complicit Masculine Discourse Among Men’s Shed Members. American Journal of Men's Health, 11(4), 1224-1236. View this article in WRRO
- Oliffe JL, Creighton G, Robertson S, Broom A, Jenkins EK, Ogrodniczuk JS & Ferlatte O (2017) Injury, Interiority, and Isolation in Men’s Suicidality. American Journal of Men's Health, 11(4), 888-899. View this article in WRRO
- Braybrook DE, Mróz LW, Robertson S, White A & Milnes K (2017) Holistic Experiences and Strategies for Conducting Research With Couples. Qualitative Health Research, 27(4), 584-590. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S, Williams B & Oliffe J (2016) The Case for Retaining a Focus on “Masculinities” in Men’s Health Research. International journal of men's health, 15(1), 52-67. View this article in WRRO
- Mróz LW & Robertson S (2015) Gender relations and couple negotiations of British men's food practice changes after prostate cancer. Appetite, 84, 113-119. View this article in WRRO
- Roy P, Tremblay G & Robertson S (2014) Help-seeking among Male Farmers: Connecting Masculinities and Mental Health. Sociologia Ruralis, 54(4), 460-476. View this article in WRRO
- Pringle A, Zwolinsky S, McKenna J, Robertson S, Daly-Smith A & White A (2014) Health improvement for men and hard-to-engage-men delivered in English Premier League football clubs. Health Education Research, 29(3), 503-520. View this article in WRRO
- Robinson M & Robertson S (2014) Challenging the field: Bourdieu and men’s health. Social Theory & Health, 12(4), 339-360. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S, Zwolinsky S, Pringle A, McKenna J, Daly-Smith A & White A (2013) ‘It is fun, fitness and football really’: a process evaluation of a football-based health intervention for men. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 5(3), 419-439. View this article in WRRO
- Tolhurst R, Leach B, Price J, Robinson J, Ettore E, Scott-Samuel A, Kilonzo N, Sabuni LP, Robertson S, Kapilashrami A , Bristow K et al (2012) Intersectionality and gender mainstreaming in international health: Using a feminist participatory action research process to analyse voices and debates from the global south and north. Social Science & Medicine, 74(11), 1825-1832. View this article in WRRO
- Oliffe JL, Robertson S, Kelly MT, Roy P & Ogrodniczuk JS (2010) Connecting Masculinity and Depression Among International Male University Students. Qualitative Health Research, 20(7), 987-998. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S (2006) 'I've been like a coiled spring this last week': embodied masculinity and health. Sociology of Health and Illness, 28(4), 433-456. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S (2006) ‘Not living life in too much of an excess’: lay men understanding health and well-being. Health: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine, 10(2), 175-189. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S, Sheikh K & Moore A () Embodied masculinities in the context of cardiac rehabilitation. Sociology of Health & Illness, 32(5), 695-710. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S, Woodall J, Henry H, Hanna E, Rowlands S, Horrocks J, Livesley J & Long T () Evaluating a community-led project for improving fathers’ and children’s wellbeing in England. Health Promotion International, daw090-daw090. View this article in WRRO
- Robertson S, Gough B & Robinson M (2017) Masculinities and health inequalities within neoliberal economies In Walker C & Roberts S (Ed.), Masculinity, Labour, and Neoliberalism: Working-Class Men in International Perspective Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Robertson S & Gough B (2017) A Review of Research on Men’s Physical Health In Levant R & Wong J (Ed.), The Psychology of Men and Masculinities Washington: APA Books.
- Robertson S & Smith B (2013) Men, masculinities and disability In Swain J, French S, Barnes C & Thomas C (Ed.), Disabling Barriers - Enabling Environments 3rd Ed London: Sage.