Entry requirements for Study Abroad at Sheffield

To be considered for the Study Abroad programme, you must be a registered undergraduate student at a university or college.

Academic requirements

We require you to have the equivalent of a UK 2:1 average. This is can be a B average, GPA of 3.0/4.0 or 5.0/7.0, or 60/100, etc. You are not required to translate your grades into UK or University of Sheffield marks.

If you do not have the necessary grades, you won't be automatically rejected. Departments can use their discretion but there must be good reasons for your lower grades.

English Language Requirements

If English is not your first language you must be able show that your English language proficiency is at a level which allows you to successfully complete your chosen course of study.

Each of our academic departments at Sheffield have individual requirements. You must meet each of the scores for the departments you wish to study in. You can see these requirements in the download on the right of this page.

If you want to study in more than one department, you must meet the score for each department.

English Language Factsheet

Please ensure you download, read and keep the English Language Factsheet. This has some very important information you require to apply to Study Abroad Programme.

Important Note: Information can change at any point if new legislations are implemented.

Acceptable English Tests

We do not accept internal or institutional English language tests.

Please visit the link on the right of this page to find out which tests the University of Sheffield currently accepts.

Minimum English Language Scores

As set by UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI), you can ONLY apply for a place on the Study Abroad Programme if you have the following level of English or above:

IELTS: 6.0 with 5.5 in all components (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking)

TOEFL iBT: 88 with 18 in Reading, 17 in Writing, 17 in Listening, 20 in Speaking

Pearson PTE: 51 with 51 in all components (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking)

Please remember: Each of our academic departments at Sheffield have individual requirements. You must meet each of the scores for the departments you wish to study in.

Validity of English Language Certificates

UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI), have set a 2 year time limit on the validity of language tests.

If your certificate is going to run out before you arrive in Sheffield, you will need to resit the test and send the new certificate to Sheffield before you arrive.

If you are applying using an English language qualification, such as a high school certificate, which is over 5 years old, please contact us at globalopps@sheffield.ac.uk.

International students at English speaking universities

If you were previously educated in a non-English speaking country and now study in an institution where the language of instruction and assessment is in English (for example Chinese national studying at an Australian university) then please request an additional reference from your university which confirms you are taught in English and your current level of English in addition to sending a copy of your latest English language qualification.

Please email globalopps@sheffield.ac.uk to check if you are unsure what you are required to submit proof of English language with your application.

Study in the English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC)

If you want to study in the ELTC, either for a pre-sessional English course or during the semester, you must now take a Secure English Language Test (SELT). Due to changes introduced by the UK Home Office only IELTS tests taken at approved centres can be accepted as a SELT. These tests are called 'IELTS for UKVI'.
You can see the list of approved test centres here

Back to home page