The name of the club shall be ‘The Sheffield University Women's Club’. The Club shall be purely social. Appeals for charity shall not be made through the club.
Membership shall be open to women who are:
- Officers of the University
- Members of Council
- Past and present members of academic and non-academic staff
- Graduate students and alumni of the University
- Women who are partners of the above.
Associate membership shall be open to women with a particular connection with or interest in the University. Associate membership shall be restricted to 15% of total membership.
A change to this proportion may be proposed by the Committee subject to approval by the AGM. Associate members shall not have voting rights.
Guests (male or female) are welcome to attend a talk on payment of a small charge to be determined annually by the committee.
Guests who are eligible will be encouraged to join.
The committee shall consist of:
- A chairman, events secretary, minutes secretary, membership secretary, and treasurer, who shall be officers of the club, selected by the committee. The term of office shall be ideally three years, with the need for a smooth takeover of roles being paramount. In the third year of office an assistant should be identified to ‘shadow’ and take over the role in the following year.
- Five or six ordinary members who shall each serve for three years.
- Co-opted members (usually retired committee members or associate members) who provide a particular experience or expertise.
- Five members of the committee shall constitute a quorum.
The AGM shall be held in October. Notice will be given in the previous newsletter. Twenty members shall form a quorum.
Minutes of the previous AGM and audited accounts for the previous year shall be available at the meeting. Elections to the committee shall be held each year.
Minutes, accounts and new committee members shall be proposed and seconded at the AGM and approved by show of hands.
The annual subscription shall be determined by the committee from time to time as deemed necessary and approved by the AGM.
Events will take place throughout the year. Details will be outlined in the membership card and given in more detail in the twice yearly newsletter and on this website.
In order to comply with General Data Protection Regulation (25th May 2018) which protects the rights of individuals with regard to the way an organisation collects, stores, uses and disposes of their personal data Sheffield University Women’s Club, SUWC will adhere to the following policy:
1) Collection of data
- Data collected from each member will be name, address, telephone number(s) and email address.
- The data will be used to communicate details of meetings and events to members and to deliver the SUWC newsletter to members.
- Each member will be required to sign a consent form agreeing to their personal data being collected and stored by SUWC. These completed consent forms will be stored by the Membership Secretary
2) Storage of data
- The data will be stored in the form of electronic spreadsheets and as hard copy.
- Copies of the data will be held by the following officers of the club-Chair, Membership Secretary, Events Secretary, Newsletter Editor and leaders of the Walking, Theatre and Garden groups.
- Email addresses will also be stored in the SUWC email account (email@example.com) contacts list. Email addresses may also be stored in the email contacts lists of the officers noted above.
- All officers of the club will be required to destroy/delete all data that they hold on leaving office. This will be recorded in the minutes of the club.
- Other members of the committee may have access to the data as and when appropriate.
3) Data will not be shared with any third parties unless required to by law.
4) The data will be stored for as long as an individual remains a member of SUWC. If a member leaves SUWC or fails to renew their membership, their data will be destroyed/deleted. This will be recorded in the minutes of the club.
5) Members will have the right to have access to their data, to have their data corrected and to have their data erased, at any time.
6) Consent will be also obtained from all individuals appearing in photographs taken at SUWC events and stored by the club for use in the SUWC Newsletter or website.
A global reputation
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.