Opportunities for employers
Our courses are designed with the students’ careers in mind. We aim to equip them with a wide range of transferable and specialist skills as well as academic knowledge making our students desirable employees.
What are the benefits of engaging with the department?
- Through engaging with the department through: events, presentations, sponsorships, videos and placements, you will raise the profile of your organisation with Sheffield students.
- By offering placements, you will gain a highly educated student with the ability to deliver high quality work and assist on projects.
- Students get an insight into what career options are available to them upon graduating.
- Through the experience you will give them, students will have a head-start in improving their employability, ready for the world of work!
How can you get involved?
There are a variety of ways to get involved with the department, some of these include:
- Offer our MPlan Urban Studies and Planning students short two weeks placements in the Summer or Easter break.
- Offer our students a '1 Year In Industry' placement.
- Deliver Career Presentations to students within the department (usually held in October/November).
- Students can help you assist with projects you otherwise wouldn't have the funding and/or capacity for.
- Allow us to visit your office and create a virtual tour - in 2017, we created one with CBRE, Manchester which can be viewed here: Roundme.
But if none of the above suit yourself/your organisation, we are always more than happy to work together and accommodate new events and partnerships.
What makes our students stand out?
We the top RTPI accredited Planning School in the UK (Source: REF 2014 (Research excellence Framework) and National Student Survey 2016).
Our students are taught by the leading academics- In the benchmark Research Evaluation Framework exercise, 85% of our work was rated 'world leading' and 'internationally excellent' with 'outstanding impacts' – the highest of any RTPI-accredited planning school in the country.
We were all very impressed with Chloe during her placement with us. She was keen, interested in the range of activities we organised, and fit well in to the team for the short time she was here. Her placement included contributing to several pieces of work which she completed very well.
I was particularly impressed with how Chloe worked around some technical issues we had at the start of the placement; she used initiative to get on and complete the work with minimal input required from others.
Feedback from an employer regarding one of our placement students
Placement, Employability and External Relationship (PEER) Manager
Telephone: 0114 222 6928
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.