Professor Daniel Coca
MEng, PhD, CEng, MIEE
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Head of Department
Professor of Nonlinear and Complex Systems
+44 114 222 5619
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
- Research interests
My research work spans the broad area of nonlinear and complex dynamical systems. I am interested in developing novel mathematical, computational and analytical methods to analyse, model and control complex dynamical systems as well as apply the tools developed to complex systems in physics, engineering, life sciences and finance.
Complex systems modelling, identification and control:
Stem cell population dynamics; Crystal growth; Brain activity; Solar wind - magnetosphere interaction; Financial markets.
Bioimaging & biological data analysis:
Diffuse Optical Tomography; Protein Identification/Protein Mass Fingerprinting; Cell imaging data analysis.
Nonlinear Control Theory:
Controller design for nonlinear PDEs; Nonlinear predictive control.
FPGA hardware acceleration of protein identification algorithms; FPGA implementation of computationally intensive control & optimization algorithms.
- Solving the inverse Frobenius-Perron problem using stationary densities of dynamical systems with input perturbations. Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 90. View this article in WRRO
- Learning with precise spike times : a new decoding algorithm for liquid state machines. Neural Computation, 31(9), 1825-1852. View this article in WRRO
- Projects as Interventions in Infrastructure Systems‐of‐Systems. INCOSE International Symposium, 29(1), 542-542.
- Communication Sparsity in Distributed Spiking Neural Network Simulations to Improve Scalability. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, 13. View this article in WRRO
- Structuring an Integrated Air Quality Monitoring Network in Large Urban Areas – Discussing the Purpose, Criteria and Deployment Strategy. Atmospheric Environment: X, 2. View this article in WRRO
- Analysing the performance of low-cost air quality sensors, their drivers, relative benefits and calibration in cities—a case study in Sheffield. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 191. View this article in WRRO
- Code generation in computational neuroscience: a review of tools and techniques.. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, 12. View this article in WRRO
- Ecological network analysis on intra-city metabolism of functional urban areas in England and Wales. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 138, 172-182. View this article in WRRO
- Robust Recovery of Missing Data in Electricity Distribution Systems. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 10(4), 4057-4067. View this article in WRRO
- Identification and Single-Cell Functional Characterization of an Endodermally Biased Pluripotent Substate in Human Embryonic Stem Cells. Stem Cell Reports, 10(6), 1895-1907. View this article in WRRO
- Linear and Nonlinear Estimated GFR Slopes in ADPKD Patients Reaching ESRD.. Am J Kidney Dis. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of Stochastically Perturbed Autonomous Systems from Temporal Sequences of Probability Density Functions. Journal of Nonlinear Science. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of Linear and Nonlinear Sensory Processing Circuits from Spiking Neuron Data. Neural Computation, 30(3), 670-707. View this article in WRRO
- A matrix-based approach to solving the inverse Frobenius–Perron problem using sequences of density functions of stochastically perturbed dynamical systems. Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 54, 248-266. View this article in WRRO
- Fly Photoreceptors Encode Phase Congruency. PLoS ONE, 11(6). View this article in WRRO
- Reproducibility of parameters of postocclusive reactive hyperemia measured by diffuse optical tomography.. J Biomed Opt, 21(6), 66012-66012. View this article in WRRO
- A Novel Reconstruction Framework for Time-Encoded Signals with Integrate-and-Fire Neurons. Neural Computation, 27(9), 1872-1898.
- Reconstruction of one-dimensional chaotic maps from sequences of probability density functions. Nonlinear Dynamics, 80(3), 1373-1390. View this article in WRRO
- Time-Lapse Analysis of Human Embryonic Stem Cells Reveals Multiple Bottlenecks Restricting Colony Formation and Their Relief upon Culture Adaptation. Stem Cell Reports, 3(1), 142--155. View this article in WRRO
- Reduced-order modeling of light transport in tissue for real-time monitoring of brain hemodynamics using diffuse optical tomography.. J Biomed Opt, 19(2), 026008. View this article in WRRO
- Volterra Series Approximation of a Class of Nonlinear Dynamical Systems Using the Adomian Decomposition Method. Nonlinear Dynamics, 1-13.
- The use of Volterra series in the analysis of the nonlinear Schrödinger equation. Nonlinear Dynamics, 1-13.
- A Volterra series representation for a class of nonlinear infinite dimensional systems with periodic boundary conditions. Systems and Control Letters, 62(2), 115-123.
- A Volterra series approach to the frequency domain analysis of non-linear viscous Burgers' equation. NONLINEAR DYNAMICS, 70(3), 1753-1765.
- Stochastic, adaptive sampling of information by microvilli in fly photoreceptors.. Curr Biol, 22(15), 1371-1380.
- Identification of a Temperature Dependent FitzHugh-Nagumo model for the Belousov-Zhabotinskii Reaction. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 21(11), 3249-3258. View this article in WRRO
- SPATIO-TEMPORAL MODELING OF WAVE FORMATION IN AN EXCITABLE CHEMICAL MEDIUM BASED ON A REVISED FITZHUGH-NAGUMO MODEL. INT J BIFURCAT CHAOS, 21(2), 505-512. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of geometrical models of interface evolution for dendritic crystal growth. PHYS LETT A, 375(7), 1084-1091.
- Data based quest for solar wind-magnetosphere coupling function. GEOPHYS RES LETT, 37.
- A dynamic model of neurovascular coupling: implications for blood vessel dilation and constriction.. Neuroimage, 52(3), 1135-1147. View this article in WRRO
- Modeling the evolution of culture-adapted human embryonic stem cells.. Stem Cell Res, 4(1), 50-56.
- Prepatterning in the stem cell compartment.. PLoS One, 5(5), e10901. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of partial differential equation models for a class of multiscale spatio-temporal dynamical systems. INT J CONTROL, 83(1), 40-48. View this article in WRRO
- A high-performance reconfigurable computing solution for Peptide mass fingerprinting.. Methods Mol Biol, 604, 163-185.
- Modified variational Bayes EM estimation of hidden Markov tree model of cell lineages.. Bioinformatics, 25(21), 2824-2830.
- Finite-dimensional controller design for semilinear parabolic systems. NONLINEAR ANAL-THEOR, 70(12), 4451-4475.
- Peptide Mass Fingerprinting Using Field-Programmable Gate Arrays. IEEE T BIOMED CIRC S, 3(3), 142-149. View this article in WRRO
- A PDE variational approach to image denoising and restoration. NONLINEAR ANAL-REAL, 10(3), 1351-1361.
- Model estimation of cerebral hemodynamics between blood flow and volume changes: a data-based modeling approach.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 56(6), 1606-1616. View this article in WRRO
- High-performance hardware implementation of a parallel database search engine for real-time peptide mass fingerprinting.. Bioinformatics, 24(13), 1498-1502.
- Internal optimal controller synthesis for Navier-Stokes equations. NUMER FUNC ANAL OPT, 29(1-2), 225-242.
- Hardware acceleration of processing of mass spectrometric data for proteomics.. Bioinformatics, 23(6), 724-731.
- Data derived continuous time model for the Dst dynamics. GEOPHYS RES LETT, 33(4).
- Stabilizing semilinear parabolic equations. NUMER FUNC ANAL OPT, 26(4-5), 449-480.
- Analysis and reconstruction of stochastic coupled map lattice models. PHYS LETT A, 315(1-2), 61-75.
- Identification of finite dimensional models of infinite dimensional dynamical systems. AUTOMATICA, 38(11), 1851-1865.
- Identification of coupled map lattice models of deterministic distributed parameter systems. INT J SYST SCI, 33(8), 623-634.
- Non-linear system identification using wavelet multiresolution models. INT J CONTROL, 74(18), 1718-1736.
- Time domain analysis of plasma turbulence observed upstream of a quasi-parallel shock. J GEOPHYS RES-SPACE, 106(A11), 25005-25021.
- Nonlinear system identification and analysis of complex dynamical behavior in reflected light measurements of vasomotion. INT J BIFURCAT CHAOS, 10(2), 461-476.
- Direct parameter identification of distributed parameter systems. INT J SYST SCI, 31(1), 11-17.
- A direct approach to identification of nonlinear differential models from discrete data. MECH SYST SIGNAL PR, 13(5), 739-755.
- Discrete wavelet models for identification and qualitative analysis of chaotic systems. INT J BIFURCAT CHAOS, 9(7), 1263-1284.
- Non-linear analysis of vasomotion oscillations in reflected light measurements.. Adv Exp Med Biol, 454, 571-582.
- FPGA Co-processing solution for real-time protein identification using tandem mass spectrometry In Iniewski K (Ed.), Embedded Systems: Hardware, Design, and Implementation Wiley
- Parallel FPGA search engine for protein identification In Schmidt B (Ed.), Bioinformatics: High Performance Parallel Computer Architectures (pp. 313-336). Taylor and Francis
Centre for Digital Built Britain, 'Analysing Systems Interdependencies using a Digital Twin', 01/04/2019, £48,864 (24,432 apportioned)
EPSRC, 'CORONA', 09/07/2018, £208,411 (£62,523 apportioned)
EPSRC, 'UKRIC - Urban Flows Observatories', 18/01/2018, £2.1M (£634,076 apportioned)
BBSRC, 'Digital Fly Brain', 21/05/2015, £530,873 (£504,329 apportioned)
BBSRC, D. Coca, M. Juusola, S.A. Billings, `Reverse Engineering Drosophila´s Retinal Networks´, 15.08.10 to 14.08.13, £648,008
EPSRC, S.A. Billings, D. Coca, `Spatio-temporal systems estimation modelling and analysis´, 04.01.10 to 03.01.14, £566,226
EPSRC, S.A. Billings, M. Balikhin, D. Coca, V.Kadirkamanathan, Z.Lang, H. Wei, `System Identification and Information Processing for Complex Systems´, 02.01.10 to 01.01.15, £1,442,972
MRC Fellowship, D. Coca, `Stem Cell Dynamics: Exploration of the Stem Cell Attractor Landscape´, 1.10.09-30.09.10, £109,000
BBSRC, D Coca and R Beynon, `FPGA Supercomputing Technology for High-throughput Identification and Quantification in Proteomics´, 15.03.08 to 14.03.11, £515,001
BBSRC, D Coca, R Beynon, 'Hardware Accelerated Data Processing Pipeline For Proteomics', 15.03.08 to 14.03.09, £98,559
The University of Sheffield, D. Coca, R. Beynon, S. Smith, V. Hughues. Proof Of Concept Fund Award, `Hardware acceleration of data processing in proteomics´, 01.11.07 to 01.05.08, £10,000
EPSRC, Q Zhong, A Zolotas, D Coca, K Li and S Evangelou. `New-ACE: A Network for New Academics in Control Engineering´, 01.10.07 to 30.09.10, £87,800
EPSRC, S A Billings, D Coca, `System Identification and Model validation for Spatio-Temporal Dynamical Systems´, 01.08.06 to 31.07.09, £292,797
EPSRC, S A Billings, Y Zheng, J Martingdale, D Coca and J E W Mayhew, `System Identification and Signal Processing for Neuro-Imaging data Analysis´, 02.01.06 to 01.01.09, £264,277
EPSRC Platform Grant, S A Billings, V Kadirkamanathan, Z Q Lang, D Coca, M Balikhin, `System Identification and Signal Processing for Complex Systems´, 03.01.05 to 02.01.10, £422,571
EPSRC, D Coca, ` Adaptive Control of Infinite Dimensional Systems using Reconfigurable Computers´, 15.11.04 to 14.11.07, £132,014
BBSRC, R. Beynon and D Coca, ` Application of Field Programmable Gate Arrays to Eliminate Bottlenecks in Near-instrument Proteomics´, 15.11.04 to 14.11.07, £230,130
Royal Society, D. Coca and V. Barbu, `Optimal Control and Stabilization of Parabolic-like Equations´, 01.11.04 to 15.11.04, £1,400