Professor Christopher Stokes
BMedSci (Hons), MEd, PhD, PFHEA, NTF
School of Clinical Dentistry
Professor of Digital Learning and Dental Education
National Teaching Fellow
Director of Learning and Teaching
+44 114 215 9353
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
Chris joined the School as a University Teacher after completing his PhD in Dental Materials in 2005, being promoted to Senior Teacher in 2009 and being given a personal chair in recognition of his work in digital learning and dental education in 2018. He has always had an interest in teaching, and has worked on a wide variety of School, Faculty and University projects.
Chris also has a number of teaching leadership and management roles. A selection of these include: Dental School eLearning Coordinator and leading Sheffield’s first Futurelearn MOOC ‘Discover Dentistry’. He was Cross-Cutting Director of Learning and Teaching (Digital Learning) for the University 2015-2019, and is currently the Lead for the BDS Programme.
- Remote clinical consultations in restorative dentistry: a clinical service evaluation study. British Dental Journal, 228(6), 441-447. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation of reproducibility of the chemical solubility of dental ceramics using ISO 6872:2015. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. View this article in WRRO
- Conflicting demands that dentists and dental care professionals experience when using social media: a scoping review. British Dental Journal, 227(10), 893-899.
- A scoping review of the use and application of Virtual Reality in Pre-clinical Dental Education. British Dental Journal, 226(5), 358-366. View this article in WRRO
- Learning analytics and dental education; choices and challenges. European Journal of Dental Education, 22(3), e658-e660.
- Discover Dentistry: encouraging wider participation in dentistry using a massive open online course (MOOC). British Dental Journal, 219(2), 81-85. View this article in WRRO
- An evaluation of remote communication versus face-to-face in clinical dental education. British Dental Journal, 212(6), 277-282.
- Research group
- Anna Greer (Professionalism, dentistry and social media)
- Ashley Towers (Haptic simulation to support teaching in dentistry)
- Hathal Albagami (3D printing to support dental clinical teaching)
- Rayan Al-Hawsawi (Measurement of dental material chemical solubility) (completed 2019)
- Khalid K Alanazi (3D printing of PMMA for denture bases)
- Teaching interests
Chris’s teaching interests centre around the use of technology to engage learners in dentistry. This includes large projects such as Discover Dentistry, an open online course for aspiring dentists, or projects that look at how technology can support the more focussed challenges of teaching dental skills through visualisation and simulation.
He is also committed to widening participation in dentistry and works through outreach and online courses to support students in accessing dental careers.
- Teaching activities
Chris is the Programme Lead for the BDS Programme and leads on the teaching of Digital Skills, Information Literacy and the Introduction to Dental Technology. He contributes to teaching on Scientific Writing, Dental Materials, and Dental Photography.
Chris is a winner of multiple teaching awards, including a National Teaching Fellowship in 2016, and a Senate Award Fellowship for Excellence in Learning and Teaching in 2005. Chris is also a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Chris has worked on University projects related to Feedback, Personal Tutoring and supporting staff in their own development of learning and teaching through the Digital Commons.
- Professional activities
Recent conference papers and keynote lectures
- Stokes. C.W. (2018) Creating a Digital Commons. Keele Digital Festival, 5th-7th June 2018
- Stokes C.W. and Kinsey M. (2016) Creating the digital commons: Provocation. Inspiration. Collaboration. Blended Learning Forum, London.
- Stokes C.W. (2016) Can MOOCs make a difference? - Driving institutional change and widening participation with digital learning. MMiT National Conference, Sheffield.
- Stokes C.W., Kinsey, M. (2016) Digital Presence at the University of Sheffield. European Universities Association, Galway
- Stokes C.W., Grant, V.A. (2016) Developing a collaborative vision, strategy and offer for information and digital literacy in your institution. Librarians’ Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC), Dublin