Mr James Scott
BDS (Sheffield), MJDF RCS Eng, MFDS RCS Edin, PGCert DentEd, MSc (Dist Edin Inst)
School of Clinical Dentistry
Academic Clinical Fellow
+44 114 271 7921
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
Mr Scott graduated from the University of Sheffield in the summer of 2007, commissioning through Royal Military Academy Sandhurst later that year. He was immediately posted abroad completing his VT and early clinical training in British Forces Germany and further afield. He has served across the world in broad in a variety of training, management, liaison and clinical roles. These have included as a General Dental Practitioner, SHO in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, an MSc in Restorative Dentistry, Nurse and FD trainer, liaison to the Royal Brunei Armed Forces and as a Regional Senior Dental Officer.
Returning to Sheffield University to take up a post as an Academic Clinical Fellow in the Restorative Department he continues to enjoy postgraduate and undergraduate teaching whilst maintaining a commission in the Army Reserve.
- Research interests
Mr Scott’s research focuses on the development of integrated AI computing systems to assist clinicians in the diagnosis and maintenance of periodontal disease. His current main effort focuses on the monitoring of periodontal disease working in collaboration between Insigneo and the radiographic department Charles Clifford Dental Hospital (Supervisors Prof J Wild, Dr A Bianchardi & Dr D Andrew).
The monitoring of the loss of periodontal tissue is complex and largely still performed through rudimentary measurement that has been proven to have poor inter and even intra-examiner accuracy. The project aims to provide a digital solution to assist the patient dental team in locating and accurately reviewing any change in the radiographic appearance of periodontal tissue loss.
- Teaching interests
Mr Scott has completed a number of teaching courses through his years, most recently completing a Postgraduate Certificate in Dental Education (University Bedfordshire). Utilising this he provides postgraduate teaching on a range of restorative courses including occlusion, endodontics, prosthodontics, the restoration of non-carious tooth surface loss and management techniques. This is in addition to providing mentoring support to undergraduates and clinical supervision to final year students.
- Professional activities
- 2020 – Restorative Journal Club Co-ordinator – CCDH
- 2019 – Restorative Senior Clinical Fellow, Barts Health Trust
- 2018 – 2020 DPHC Audit, Research and Training lead – East of England
- 2018 – 2020 FD Trainer – Colchester
- 2018 – 2020 LDN Committee Member – Essex
- 2018 – 2020 LDC Committee Member – Essex
- 2016 – 2018 Liaison to Royal Brunei Armed Forces – Brunei. National Service lead for Clinical Governance and Dental Nurse Training
- 2014 - 2016 Senior Dental Officer 4 Medical Regiment
Secretary of AMSSC - budget holder
- 2012 - 2014 Honorary Clinical Lecturer Charles Clifford Dental Hospital
- 2007 - 2012 - Military service
FD1, FD2, SHO Maxillofacial Surgery, DN Trainer and Co-Ord for British Army Germany
- Journal Articles
- The Development of a Restorative Managed Clinical Network within the Defence Primary Healthcare Organisation – Bryce G, Scott J, Myhill C, Richardson M – Accepted, awaiting publication BDJ
- Konieczny KM, Seager L, Scott J, Colbert S, Dale T, Brennan PA. Experience of head and neck theatre staff and attitudes to human factors using an aviation-based analysis and classification system - a pilot survey. Br J Oral Maxillofacial Surg. 2014 Jan;52(1): 38-42.
- Herd K, Scott J, Shekar V, Brennan P, Anand R Exodontia day case venous thromboembolism prevention: from local audit to national change Br J Oral Maxillofacial Surg. 2013 Jun;51(6):116-118
- Colbert SD, Scott J, Dale T, Brennan PA. Performing to a world class standard under pressure - can we learn lessons from the Olympians? Br J Oral Maxillofacial Surg. 2012 Jun;50(4):291-7. doi: 10.1016/j.bjoms.2012.04.263.
- Blythe J, Patel D, Gulati A, Scott J, Anand R, Brennan P The potential impact of the 2010 tuition fee policy on double qualification: a junior trainee perspective. Br J Oral Maxillofacial Surg. 2011 Jun;49.
- Gulati A, Scott J, Blythe J, Southorn B, Brennan P Review of salivary papers published in the British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery during 2009–2010 Br J Oral Maxillofacial Surg. 2011 Vol. 49 (8): 627–629
- National Posters at BSRD 2020, 2018, 2016. Multiple poster and verbal presentation at DPHC & HEE Regional Training days since 2010
- Member of the Joint Dental Faculties RCS England.
- Member of the RCS Edinburgh (Primary Dental Care), Fellow in the Faculty of Dental Surgery).
- Societal membership of the BDA, BSRD, BSSPD & BSP.