Dr Vivian Petersen Wagner
School of Clinical Dentistry
Lecturer in Oral Science
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I graduated with a Doctor of Dental Surgery (2006 – 2013) from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul Faculty of Dentistry. Following that, I did my PhD (2013-2016) in Oral Pathology at the same institution with a one-year research experience (2015) at the Laboratory of Epithelial Biology of the University of Michigan Dental School (US).
I lectured in Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine at the Faculty of Dentistry of the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (2017). I did a post-doc in Oral Diagnosis at the University of Campinas (Brazil) followed by a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship at the Academic Unit of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology at the University of Sheffield School of Clinical Dentistry (UK).
- Research interests
My research interests include head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, salivary gland tumours, wound healing, phytotherapy and photobiomodulation.
- Drug-based therapy for advanced adenoid cystic carcinoma: Current landscape and challenges based on an overview of registered clinical trials. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, 181, 103886-103886.
- Risk factors for jaw osteoradionecrosis: a case control study.. Braz Oral Res, 36, e132.
- Global frequency and epidemiological profile of electronic cigarette users: a systematic review. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology.
- 4-nitroquinoline-1-oxide (4NQO) induced oral carcinogenesis: A systematic literature review. Pathology - Research and Practice, 236, 153970-153970.
- Distance learning course improves primary care dentists' diagnosis and self-efficacy in the management of oral lesions.. Braz Oral Res, 36, e101.
- Response to: Concerns regarding the published article “Potentially carcinogenic effects of hydrogen peroxide for tooth bleaching on the oral mucosa: A systematic review and meta-analysis” by Silveira et al. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 128(5), 1131-1133.
- MYB-NFIB fusion transcript in adenoid cystic carcinoma : current state of knowledge and future directions. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, 176. View this article in WRRO
- MutSα expression predicts a lower disease-free survival in malignant salivary gland tumors: an immunohistochemical study. Medicina Oral Patología Oral y Cirugia Bucal, 27(2), e164-e173.
- Benign fibrous histiocytoma of the oral and maxillofacial region: A systematic review. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 133(2), e43-e56.
- Potentially carcinogenic effects of hydrogen peroxide for tooth bleaching on the oral mucosa: A systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Neuroendocrine Carcinoma: A Systematic Review. Head and Neck Pathology, 16(2), 525-537.
- Risk factors associated with the development of oral mucositis in pediatric oncology patients: Systematic review and meta‐analysis. Oral Diseases, 28(4), 1068-1084.
- Defocused high-power diode laser accelerates skin repair in a murine model through REDOX state modulation and reepithelization and collagen deposition stimulation. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 225, 112332-112332.
- Epigenetic modulation of the tumor microenvironment in head and neck cancer: Challenges and opportunities. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, 164, 103397-103397.
- Curcuma longa L. Effects on Akt/mTOR Pathway and NF-κB Expression During Skin Wound Healing: An Immunohistochemical Study. Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology, 29(10), e92-e100.
- Mantle cell lymphoma, malt lymphoma, small lymphocytic lymphoma, and follicular lymphoma of the oral cavity: An update. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 50(6), 622-630.
- Central odontogenic fibroma: an international multicentric study of 62 cases. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 131(5), 549-557.
- Clinicopathological analysis of oral and maxillofacial acinic cell carcinoma: A systematic review. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 50(8), 741-749.
- Salivary gland cancer in Southern Brazil: a prognostic study of 107 cases. Medicina Oral Patología Oral y Cirugia Bucal, 26(3), e393-e403.
- BDNF/TrkB/Akt Signaling Pathway Epithelial Odontogenic Tumors and Keratocyst: An Immunohistochemical Study Comparative With Dental Germs. Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology, 29(5), 366-373.
- Factors associated with incomplete surgical margins in basal cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, 87(6), 695-701.
- Better outcome for parotid versus neck metastasis of head and neck cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a new report on reemerging data. Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, 87(4), 389-395.
- TrkB-targeted therapy for mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Biomedicines, 8(12). View this article in WRRO
- Prevalence of p16 expression in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma in southern Brazil. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 130(6), 681-691.
- Head and neck cancer patient-derived xenograft models – A systematic review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, 155, 103087-103087.
- Can propranolol act as a chemopreventive agent during oral carcinogenesis? An experimental animal study. European Journal of Cancer Prevention, Publish Ahead of Print.
- An audit of cytopathology in the oral and maxillofacial region: 18 years of experience. Cytopathology, 31(6), 555-563.
- The impact of photobiomodulation therapy on the biology and behavior of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas cell lines. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 209, 111924-111924.
- PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway activation in actinic cheilitis and lip squamous cell carcinomas. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 34(9).
- Prevalence and distribution of dental anomalies in a paediatric population based on panoramic radiographs analysis. European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 21(4), 292-298.
- Prognostic value of CRTC1‐MAML2 translocation in salivary mucoepidermoid carcinoma: Systematic review and meta‐analysis. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 49(5), 386-394.
- Activation of BDNF/TrkB/Akt pathway is associated with aggressiveness and unfavorable survival in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Diseases, 25(8), 1925-1936.
- Chronic painful oral ulcers in a heart transplant recipient. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 127(6), 468-476.
- Malignant transformation of craniomaxillofacial fibro‐osseous lesions: A systematic review. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 48(6), 441-450.
- Photobiomodulation therapy modulates epigenetic events and NF-κB expression in oral epithelial wound healing. Lasers in Medical Science, 34(7), 1465-1472.
- Mucoadhesive formulation containing
Curcuma longaL. reduces oral mucositis induced by 5‐fluorouracil in hamsters. Phytotherapy Research, 33(4), 881-890.
- Targeting histone deacetylase and NFκB signaling as a novel therapy for Mucoepidermoid Carcinomas. Scientific Reports, 8.
- Uncovering the role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor/tyrosine kinase receptor B signaling in head and neck malignancies. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 47(3), 221-227.
- Endothelial-derived interleukin-6 induces cancer stem cell motility by generating a chemotactic gradient towards blood vessels. Oncotarget, 8(59), 100339-100352.
- Prognostic significance of hMSH2, hMSH3, and hMSH6 expression in ameloblastoma. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 124(3), 286-295.
- New photobiomodulation protocol prevents oral mucositis in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation recipients—a retrospective study. Lasers in Medical Science, 32(9), 2013-2021.
- Effects of Copaiba Oil Topical Administration on Oral Wound Healing. Phytotherapy Research, 31(8), 1283-1288.
- Bryne's grading system predicts poor disease-specific survival of oral squamous cell carcinoma: a comparative study among different histologic grading systems. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 123(6), 688-696.
- Hypoacetylation of acetyl-histone H3 (H3K9ac) as marker of poor prognosis in oral cancer. Histopathology, 71(2), 278-286.
- 5T4-Targeted Therapy Ablates Cancer Stem Cells and Prevents Recurrence of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research, 23(10), 2516-2527.
- Reduced chromatin acetylation of malignant salivary gland tumors correlates with enhanced proliferation. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 46(9), 792-797.
- Immunohistochemical Study of TGF-β1 in Oral Leukoplakia and Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Correlations Between Clinicopathologic Factors and Overall Survival. Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology, 25(9), 651-659.
- Titanium Activates the DNA Damage Response Pathway in Oral Epithelial Cells: A Pilot Study. The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, 32(6), 1413-1420.
- Overcoming adaptive resistance in mucoepidermoid carcinoma through inhibition of the IKK-β/IκBα/NFκB axis. Oncotarget, 7(45), 73032-73044.
- Impact of highly active antiretroviral therapy in the development and remission of oral plasmablastic lymphoma. Indian Journal of Dental Research, 27(5), 559-559.
- Overexpression of MutSα Complex Proteins Predicts Poor Prognosis in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Medicine, 95(22), e3725-e3725.
- Photobiomodulation regulates cytokine release and new blood vessel formation during oral wound healing in rats. Lasers in Medical Science, 31(4), 665-671.
- VEGFR1 and VEGFR2 in lip carcinogenesis and its association with microvessel density. Tumor Biology, 36(9), 7285-7292.
- Histogenesis of keratoacanthoma: histochemical and immunohistochemical study. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 119(3), 310-317.
- Immunoprofile of c-MET/PI3K signaling in human salivary gland tumors. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 120(2), 238-247.
- Gingival Cysts of Adults: Retrospective Analysis from Two Centers in South Brazil and a Review of the Literature. Journal of the International Academy of Periodontology, 17(1), 14-19.
- Diagnostic Challenge of a Deep Minor Salivary Gland Neoplasm. Case Reports in Otolaryngology, 2014, 1-5.
- Influence of different energy densities of laser phototherapy on oral wound healing. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 18(12), 128002-128002.
- Pigmented lesion with characteristics of malignancy: A case report. General Dentistry, 61(6).
- Foreign body reactions related to orofacial aesthetic fillers: a systematic review. Oral Diseases.
- Impact of
AJCC8 pTstaging in cutaneous head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in a nonselected real‐world patient sample. Head & Neck.
- Synchronous odontogenic tumors: a systematic review. Oral Diseases.
- Association between perceived self‐confidence and abilities to distinguish oral mucosal lesions amongst dental students. European Journal of Dental Education.
- Effects of different protocols of defocused high-power laser on the viability and migration of myoblasts—a comparative in vitro study. Lasers in Medical Science.
- Oral and maxillofacial tuberculosis: a systematic review. Oral Diseases.
- Periodontal disease affects oral cancer progression in a surrogate animal model for tobacco exposure. International Journal of Oncology, 60(6).
- Cephaeline is an inductor of histone H3 acetylation and inhibitor of mucoepidermoid carcinoma cancer stem cells. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine.
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour of the oral and maxillofacial region—A systematic review. Oral Diseases.
- Impact of photobiomodulation in a patient‐derived xenograft model of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Diseases.
- A 10-year analysis of the oral squamous cell carcinoma profile in patients from public health centers in Uruguay. Brazilian Oral Research, 29(1), 1-8.
- Histones Acetylation and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs), Methods in Molecular Biology (pp. 179-193). Springer New York
- Research group
Current group members:
Maria Eduarda Perez de Oliveira (PhD student, co-supervisor)
Member of the Wound Healing and Oral Cancer research Group (Clinics Hospital of Porto Alegre, Brazil)
- Teaching activities
I teach on both first-year BDS modules (DEN103 and DEN104) and second-year students on the DEN203 module. I am also the Elective theme leader.
- Professional activities and memberships
Member of the International Society for Dental Research (IADR), British Society for Oral Research (including the Oral Medicine and Pathology group), British Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Brazilian Society of Oral Research and Brazilian Society of Oral Medicine and Pathology
Early Career Researcher representative of the Oral Medicine and Pathology group of the British Society for Oral Research
International (Brazil) PhD examiner
Grant evaluator for the UNA4CAREER postdoctoral fellowship (MSCA-COFUND-2018 call within Horizon 2020) and the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP)
Outside of The University of Sheffield, I am a visiting Professor of the Post-Graduate Program of the Faculdade de Odontologia de Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Brazil and participate in the Wound Healing and Oral Cancer research, Porto Alegre, Brazil.