Fees and funding
Everything you need to know about the Postgraduate Diploma in Education tuition fees is published on the main University of Sheffield website.
The PGDE is a postgraduate course that has undergraduate fee status.
Bursaries and scholarships
If you are classified as 'Home' for fee purposes you may be eligible to receive a Training Bursary for living costs. The amount awarded depends on your PGDE subject. To receive a training bursary you must meet one or more of the definitions for being an ‘eligible’ student to receive grants and loans towards tuition fees or living costs as set out in The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011, Part 2 (4. Eligible Students). Information about eligibility for a Training Bursary can be found in Section 3 of the ITT Teacher Training Bursaries Funding Manual.
Scholarships are available for chemistry, mathematics and physics.
Further information about bursaries and scholarships is available on the Get into Teaching webpages.
There are some additional items which are not included in the course fee. Some general examples are listed below:
- Travel for site visits
- DBS update service registration for professional programmes
- Additional travel costs
- Any resubmission or extension fees
- Accommodation and living costs
- Optional books or texts – personal copies will not be included in the tuition fee
- Optional field trips - where students have the option to go to alternative destinations, they may have to contribute part of the cost
- Electrical equipment e.g. laptops, digital cameras and calculators
- Resitting exams including professional accreditation exams
- Travel, accommodation and living costs for employment experience and field trips
- General printing and photocopying, including for dissertations and coursework
- Other charges for the Sheffield Graduate Award, replacement Ucards/ transcripts/ degree certificates, late registration
The geography field trip incurs costs for accommodation and travel and subsistence during the trip.
As this course leads to a professional qualification, student teachers will be required to undertake a DBS Enhanced Disclosure and Work Health Assessment and complete Safeguarding training. The anticipated cost for these for 2022 entry is £66*. Student teachers who have already paid for a previous DBS Enhanced Disclosure and signed up to the DBS update service (Enhanced level - Children's barred list) may pay a reduced fee (anticipated cost £26*).
*Please note that as we use external companies to undertake training and checks these fees may be subject to change. Also, should you decide to withdraw your application or you do not meet the conditions of your UCAS offer, we are unable to offer a refund.