Dr Jon Willmott
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Senior Lecturer in Sensor Systems
Semiconductor Materials and Devices Research Group
+44 114 222 5436
Full contact details
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
My Sensor Systems Research Group is part of the University’s Advanced Detector Centre. Within the ADC we are able to grow novel semiconductor detectors and use them as the sensing element for novel thermal imaging and other optoelectronic devices.
I received my masters and PhD degrees in physics from the University of Southampton in 1999 and 2003 respectively.
After two years as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Liquid Crystal research at the University of Cambridge I moved to the company Land Instruments International (now part of AMETEK Inc.)
In industry, I designed thermal imaging cameras, radiation thermometers and other ‘non-contact’ scientific instruments. In addition to optical, mechanical and electronic design skills, I also developed a fundamental understanding of temperature measurement science (metrology).
Following more than a decade in industry, I moved to the University of Sheffield in 2015 with an EPSRC Established Career Fellowship. My group’s aim is to push forward temperature measurement science and imaging, particularly within manufacturing.
However, we are interested in all areas of scientific instrumentation and optical imaging. Our research philosophy is that if we can design and build novel instruments then we can enable new scientific measurements to be made that have not been possible before.
In this way, we have undertaken new research in fields as diverse as medical imaging, volcanology and additive manufacturing.
- PhD, University of Southampton 2003
- MPhys, University of Southampton 1999
- Research interests
Optoelectronic and Optomechanical Instrumentation Including:
- Thermal Imaging Metrology
- Temperature Science
- Emissivity and Optical Properties of Materials
- Applications of Thermometry to Manufacturing
- Aerosol Printed Electronics
- Liquid Crystals
- Low-Cost Hyperspectral Imaging System: Design and Testing for Laboratory-Based Environmental Applications.. Sensors, 20, 3293-3293.
- An accurate instrument for emissivity measurements by direct and indirect methods. Measurement Science and Technology. View this article in WRRO
- An accurate device for apparent emissivity characterisation in controlled atmospheric conditions up to 1423 K. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. View this article in WRRO
- InGaAs APD thermometry. Measurement Science and Technology. View this article in WRRO
- The PiSpec: A Low-Cost, 3D-Printed Spectrometer for Measuring Volcanic SO2 Emission Rates. Frontiers in Earth Science, 7. View this article in WRRO
- A Rapidly Convecting Lava Lake at Masaya Volcano, Nicaragua. Frontiers in Earth Science, 6. View this article in WRRO
- The surgical wound in infrared: thermographic profiles and early stage test-accuracy to predict surgical site infection in obese women during the first 30 days after caesarean section. Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control, 8. View this article in WRRO
- Design and realization of a wide field of view infrared scanning system with an integrated micro-electromechanical system mirror. Applied Optics, 57(36), 10449-10457. View this article in WRRO
- Miniature Uncooled and Unchopped Fiber Optic Infrared Thermometer for Application to Cutting Tool Temperature Measurement. Sensors, 18(10). View this article in WRRO
- Quantitative traceable temperature measurement using novel thermal imaging camera. Optics Express, 26(19), 24904-24916. View this article in WRRO
- Thermal near infrared monitoring system for electron beam melting with emissivity tracking. Additive Manufacturing, 22, 601-605. View this article in WRRO
- Thermal Imaging Metrology with a Smartphone Sensor. Sensors, 18(7), 2169-2169. View this article in WRRO
- The development of a low-cost, near infrared, high-temperature thermal imaging system and its application to the retrieval of accurate lava lake temperatures at Masaya volcano, Nicaragua. Remote Sensing, 10(3). View this article in WRRO
- Quantitative thermal imaging using single-pixel Si APD and MEMS mirror. Optics Express, 26(3), 3188-3198. View this article in WRRO
- Smartphone Spectrometers. Sensors (Switzerland), 18(1), 223-223. View this article in WRRO
- Low-cost 3D printed 1 nm resolution smartphone sensor-based spectrometer: instrument design and application in ultraviolet spectroscopy. Optics Letters, 42(21), 4323-4326. View this article in WRRO
- Ultraviolet Imaging of Volcanic Plumes: A New Paradigm in Volcanology. Geosciences, 7(3). View this article in WRRO
- Laser diode area melting for high speed additive manufacturing of metallic components. Materials and Design, 117, 305-315. View this article in WRRO
- A Low-Cost Smartphone Sensor-Based UV Camera for Volcanic SO2 Emission Measurements. Remote Sensing, 9(1). View this article in WRRO
- Ultraviolet Imaging with Low Cost Smartphone Sensors: Development and Application of a Raspberry Pi-Based UV Camera. Sensors, 16(10). View this article in WRRO
- Thermal territories of the abdomen after caesarean section birth: Infrared thermography and analysis. Journal of Wound Care, 25(9), 499-512. View this article in WRRO
- Potential for improved radiation thermometry measurement uncertainty through implementing a primary scale in an industrial laboratory. Measurement Science and Technology, 27(9), 094002-094002. View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of extrapolated and interpolated temperature scales from 1000°C to 2500°C between a national measurement institute and an ISO17025 accredited calibration laboratory. Measurement, 76, 129-135.
- InAs Photodiodes for 3.43 μm Radiation Thermometry. IEEE Sensors Journal, 15(10), 5555-5560. View this article in WRRO
- InAs/GaSb Type-II Superlattice for Radiation Thermometry. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 64(2), 502-508.
- An InGaAlAs–InGaAs Two-Color Photodetector for Ratio Thermometry. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 61(3), 838-843. View this article in WRRO
- Physical Properties of Siloxane Containing Oxycyanobiphenyl Derivatives for Smectic-A Device Applications. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 434(1), 209/-217/.
- Birefringence of monomesogen and bimesogen liquid crystals. Liquid Crystal Materials, Devices, and Applications X and Projection Displays X.
- . Journal of Materials Chemistry, 11(11), 2709-2716.
- Hyperspectral Imaging in Environmental Monitoring: A Review of Recent Developments and Technological Advances in Compact Field Deployable Systems. Sensors, 19(14), 3071-3071. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation of phase sensitive detection method and Si avalanche photodiode for radiation thermometry. Journal of Instrumentation, 8(03), P03016-P03016.
- Low-Cost Hyperspectral Imaging System: Design and Testing for Laboratory-Based Environmental Applications. Sensors, 20(11), 3293-3293.
Conference proceedings papers
- Designing a Vehicle Mounted High Resolution Multi-Spectral 3D Scanner. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Data Acquisition To Analysis - DATA'19, 10 November 2019 - 10 November 2019.
- Improved radiation thermometry measurement uncertainty through implementing a primary scale in an industrial laboratory. 17th International Congress of Metrology
- Accurate thermal imaging of low-emissivity surfaces using approximate blackbody cavities. Thermosense: Thermal Infrared Applications XXXIV
- Professional activities
- EEE Department ‘Impact Champion’
- EPSRC Research Fellow (Manufacturing the Future)