Dr Richard Smith
PhD, BSc (Hons)
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Senior Lecturer in GaN Materials and Devices
Centre for GaN Materials and Devices
+44 114 222 5179
Full contact details
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
I graduated with a BSc in Physics from the University of Sheffield in 2009 and continued in Sheffield to gain my PhD in Electronic and Electrical Engineering developing novel III-nitride/organic hybrid LEDs.
I joined the department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering as a postdoctoral research fellow to strengthen the growing III-nitride activity within the university and was appointed to my current position as lecturer in GaN materials and Devices in 2015.
My research is focused on fabricating and characterizing novel semiconductor materials and devices for future optoelectronics such as LEDs, lasers, sensors and displays.
In particular, I have a strong interest in developing new additive manufacturing fabrication techniques, allowing the manufacture of new types of semiconductor devices, or devices in new application areas.
By utilising these additive manufacturing techniques it is possible to combine different semiconductor materials such as III-nitrides, organic semiconductors and colloidal semiconductor quantum dots into novel devices, combining the strengths and mitigating the weaknesses of each individual material.
I am currently working on utilising transfer printing processes to fabricate hybrid LEDs and lasers that exploit strong coupling effects in optical microcavities to enable higher efficiency light emitting optoelectronic devices emitting across the full visible spectrum.
I am also investigating employing non-standard epitaxy processes such as sputtering to grow III-nitride semiconductor materials such as AlN, AlInN and BN.
- PhD (EEE), University of Sheffield 2014
- BSc(Hons) (Physics), University of Sheffield 2009
- Research interests
- GaN Photonics - LEDs, Lasers, Photonic circuits
- Additive manufacturing processes in semiconductor device fabrication
- Transfer printing of semiconductor devices
- Hybrid organic/inorganic optoelectronics
- Non-radiative energy transfer processes in hybrid GaN/organic interfaces
- Optical characterisation of III-nitride materials and devices
- High modulation bandwidth of semipolar (11–22) InGaN/GaN LEDs with long wavelength emission. ACS Applied Electronic Materials, 2(8), 2363-2368. View this article in WRRO
- Optical polarization properties of (11–22) semi-polar InGaN LEDs with a wide spectral range. Scientific Reports, 10(1). View this article in WRRO
- Structural and luminescence imaging and characterisation of semiconductors in the scanning electron microscope. Semiconductor Science and Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Confocal photoluminescence investigation to identify basal stacking fault’s role in the optical properties of semi-polar InGaN/GaN lighting emitting diodes. Scientific Reports, 9(1). View this article in WRRO
- Scanning electron microscope as a flexible tool for investigating the properties of UV-emitting nitride semiconductor thin films. Photonics Research, 7(11), B73-B82. View this article in WRRO
- Imaging basal plane stacking faults and dislocations in (11-22) GaN using electron channelling contrast imaging. Journal of Applied Physics, 124(6). View this article in WRRO
- Electrically Injected Hybrid Organic/Inorganic III-Nitride White Light-Emitting Diodes with Nonradiative Förster Resonance Energy Transfer. ACS Photonics, 5(2), 642-647. View this article in WRRO
- Monolithically multi-color lasing from an InGaN microdisk on a Si substrate. Scientific Reports, 7(1). View this article in WRRO
- Optical properties and resonant cavity modes in axial InGaN/GaN nanotube microcavities. Optics Express, 25(23), 28246-28246. View this article in WRRO
- Polarized white light from hybrid organic/III-nitrides grating structures.. Scientific Reports, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Microstructure investigation of semi-polar (11-22) GaN overgrown on differently designed micro-rod array templates. Applied Physics Letters, 109(24). View this article in WRRO
- Enhanced water splitting with silver decorated GaN photoelectrode. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 49(26), 265601-265601. View this article in WRRO
- A single blue nanorod light emitting diode. Nanotechnology, 27(20). View this article in WRRO
- Defect reduction in overgrown semi-polar (11-22) GaN on a regularly arrayed micro-rod array template. AIP Advances, 6(2). View this article in WRRO
- Stokes shift in semi-polar ( 112¯2) InGaN/GaN multiple quantum wells. Applied Physics Letters, 108(3), 031108-031108. View this article in WRRO
- Enhanced polarization of (11–22) semi-polar InGaN nanorod array structure. Applied Physics Letters, 107(14), 141110-141110.
- Enhanced non-radiative energy transfer in hybrid III-nitride structures. Applied Physics Letters, 107(12), 121108-121108.
- Temporally and spatially resolved photoluminescence investigation of (112¯2) semi-polar InGaN/GaN multiple quantum wells grown on nanorod templates. Applied Physics Letters, 105(26), 261103-261103. View this article in WRRO
- Room temperature continuous–wave green lasing from an InGaN microdisk on silicon. Scientific Reports, 4. View this article in WRRO
- Temperature dependence of non-radiative energy transfer in hybrid structures of InGaN/GaN nanorods and F8BT films. Applied Physics Letters, 105(17), 171111-171111.
- Coherent nanocavity structures for enhancement in internal quantum efficiency of III-nitride multiple quantum wells. Applied Physics Letters, 104(16), 161108-161108.
- Great emission enhancement and excitonic recombination dynamics of InGaN/GaN nanorod structures. Applied Physics Letters, 103(10), 101108-101108.
- Hybrid III-Nitride/Organic Semiconductor Nanostructure with High Efficiency Nonradiative Energy Transfer for White Light Emitters. Nano Letters, 13(7), 3042-3047.
- Fabrication of two-dimensional InGaN/GaN photonic crystal structure using a modified nanosphere lithography technique. Applied Physics Letters, 102(19), 191108-191108.
- Enhanced internal quantum efficiency of an InGaN/GaN quantum well as a function of silver thickness due to surface plasmon coupling. Physica Status Solidi. C: Current Topics in Solid State Physics, 8(7-8), 2176-2178.
Conference proceedings papers
- Advances in electron channelling contrast imaging and electron backscatter diffraction for imaging and analysis of structural defects in the scanning electron microscope. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 891. Trondheim, Norway, 19 May 2019 - 23 May 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Teaching activities
- Lecturer in GaN materials and devices
- Module leader EEE6395 – compound semiconductor device manufacture
- Contributing lecturer EEE6216 – Energy Efficient Semiconductors
- Professional activities and memberships
- Admissions tutor – MSc Semiconductor photonics and electronics
- Department Laser Safety Officer
- Research students
Dr Rick Smith is currently supervising 9 students, within the field of Semiconductor Materials & Devices.