The Royce Discovery Centre will be an innovative new, research-focused building for the Faculty of Engineering. In May 2018 we received planning permission for the building on the corner of Portobello and Orange Streets.
As a major partner of The Henry Royce Institute, the University of Sheffield has been awarded £34 million to fund the commercialisation of fundamental research into advanced metals processing. This is one of two facilities built for this purpose, the first being the Royce Translational Centre. The centres will help us build on the University’s advanced manufacturing capabilities and transfer our knowledge and expertise to local industry – our engineers will use the research from the Royce Discovery Centre to evolve novel materials and processing techniques, making them accessible for trial by industry.
For the first time, the business community will be able to access a custom built space with state-of-the-art equipment for powder manufacturing and processing, enabling them to investigate the feasibility of using new technologies without needing to invest in their own equipment.
Project Manager: Ian Longhorn, Department of Estates and Facilities Management
Contact: [email] email@example.com [tel] 0114 222 9046 or 07858 986345
Architects: Bond Bryan Architects
Timescale: Summer 2018 – early 2020
Portobello Street closed from 4 January - 1 March 2020
A section of Portobello Street will be closed to vehicles from Saturday 4 January until Sunday 1 March 2020. This is due to a number of construction projects in this area and road resurfacing by Amey on behalf of Sheffield City Council.
Construction vehicles from all sites will be accessing Portobello Street from Mappin St to the Amy Johnson Building. Delivery access to Abney Street will be maintained via the same route.
Portobello Street will be closed from the junction of Mappin Street to Rockingham Street in sections but pedestrians and dismounted cyclists will be able to use the footpath.
- 3 June 2019: construction works progressing well and remain on programme for planned completion early next year. Foundations and sub structure works have been completed and superstructure including the formation of stairwell and lift shafts, and structural columns have progressed upto first floor level. Ground floor concrete floor slabs have been cast as well as the first floor mezzanine floor level slab and the first floor structure commenced on site this week. The tower crane remains on site in full operation supporting the construction activities.
- 1 April 2019: A tower crane for the construction of the Royce Discovery Centre will be delivered to the site next week (w/k commencing Monday 1 April). The mobile crane for erecting the tower crane will be delivered on Monday. There will be a number of deliveries including one articulated lorry delivery at 4.30am on Tuesday 2 April. These deliveries will not affect Portobello Street. The crane will be erected on site on Tuesday. Please contact the Project Manager Richard Parr if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- October-November 2018: Trenching work has been ongoing and soon demolition and piling work will begin.
- 6 August 2018: From early this week, some roads will be closed for the duration of the project. Click here for more information.
- July 2018: Henry Boot Construction appointed as main contractor for the Royce Discovery Centre.
- June 2018: Preparations have started on site.
- May 2018: Planning permission granted by Sheffield City Council.
|What is the duration of the project?
We started on site in June 2018 and we expect the building to be complete for spring 2020.
|How will this affect my journeys?
There are two road closures associated with construction of the Royce Discovery Centre which will be in place throughout the project.
Portobello Lane, running off Mappin Street, will be closed to all vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists. The fire exits are the rear of the Sir Henry Stephenson building will still be operational. Orange Street, from Portobello Street to Holland Street, will be closed to all vehicles. One side of the road will be open to pedestrians and dismounted cyclists.
Mappin Street is currently closed on and off for the construction of Heartspace – thank you for your patience while there is a lot of work taking place in this area.
|What work is taking place?
Due to the construction noise, we are working with nearby departments and the Exams/Room Booking teams to try and minimise impact on staff, students and nearby residents.
|What will be in the Royce Discovery Centre?
||There will be a mixture of laboratory spaces and a double-height workshop area. The Centre will house a combination of Henry Royce Institute capability and Materials Science and Engineering equipment currently located in the Sir Robert Hadfield Building.
|Who will be based in the building?
||Researchers from our Department of Materials Science and Engineering - including research fellows and associates, postdoctoral researchers and PhD students, as well as technical and professional staff supporting the Henry Royce Institute facility.
Project enquiries: Project Manager Richard Parr, email@example.com / 0114 222 9127
General enquiries: The EFM Helpdesk will put you in touch with the right person, firstname.lastname@example.org / 0114 222 9000
Click here to find out more about Royce@Sheffield.