How it works

Spending part of your degree overseas at a partner university is an amazing experience and one that will help you stand out from the crowd.

Who can take part

Study abroad is available on many undergraduate courses. Check the where can I go pages to see what destinations are available. Unfortunately students studying in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health (with the exception of Nursing), the department of Education and the Psychology department are not eligible to spend a year or semester abroad.

Students studying language degrees and those studying degrees in the School of Law should speak to their departments directly as they organise their own exchanges.

Do I need to speak a foreign language?

All of our partners outside Europe teach in English and many of our partners within Europe offer modules taught in English. Your departmental departmental adviser should be able to tell you which of the department's partner universities offer modules taught in English.

Students studying at European partners can also take advantage of the European Commission's Online Linguistic Support which provides free language learning support for Erasmus+ exchange/placement students in the form of online courses.

Courses are currently available in the following languages:

Bulgarian Croatian Czech Danish
Dutch Estonian Finnish French
German Greek Hungarian Italian
Lithuanian Maltese Polish Portuguese
Romanian Slovenian Spanish Swedish

Students whose main working language in the host country is one of the above are required to take the tests in order to receive the Erasmus+ grant. Students who study/work in Europe where their main working language is English, but the native language of the country is listed above, are also eligible (but not required) to participate in the online language tests and courses.

If you want to learn a new language or brush up on any existing language skills, there are several ways of doing this both in Sheffield and in your host country. The Modern Languages Teaching Centre offers foreign language modules from beginners to advanced level. They also run a tandem programme to help students practice their conversational skills with native speakers.

Academic matters

When you study abroad for a semester or year, it is part of your degree and is not a year out. For many students the modules and grades you study overseas will count towards your final degree classification and may affect which modules you can take when you return to Sheffield. 

Departments will have their own academic criteria to allow students to study abroad. Usually you need to achieve a first year average of 60 and be eligible to successfully progress to the following year (e.g. no failed modules). You must check with your department what criteria you need to meet to be allowed to go.

Which year will I go?

If you are on a three year degree, you will usually apply in the first semester of your first year and spend your second year abroad. 

If you are on a four year degree, or if study abroad is only available as an additional year, you should express your interest during your first year, and your department will let you know which year you will spend abroad. If you will study abroad in your second year, you must apply in the first semester of your first year.

Advice from your department

There are advisers in each academic department. You must discuss your options with an adviser before you submit an application. Their role is to give continual academic advice from when you are first considering study abroad, all the way through to when you return from overseas. They help you identify relevant courses at the overseas universities, they are contactable while you're abroad, and they ensure you always meet your Sheffield degree requirements.

You must discuss your choices and obtain the full support of your department before submitting an application.