On the day - postgraduate ceremonies
Everything you need to know about your graduation day.
Travel and venue
University of Sheffield
We recommend using public transport or park and ride to get to graduation as parking in the area is limited. We recommend the following car parks if you are travelling by car:
- QPark Durham Road, next to the Octagon
- QPark Rockingham, approximately half a mile from the Octagon Centre
- A map detailing all the car parks in the city centre can be found here
Sufficient parking spaces cannot be guaranteed, so leave plenty of time if you must bring a car.
Disabled parking spaces for blue badge holders are available in QPark, Durham Road. Blue badge holders can also park on double yellow lines for a maximum of 3 hours providing there are no loading/unloading restrictions and the vehicle is not causing an obstruction to other road users or pedestrians. Please ensure the blue badge and parking clock are displayed. See Sheffield City Council for more details.
The safety of visitors to the University is our highest priority. With this in mind, the following procedures are in place:
- Bags will be searched. No bag larger than a small handbag will be allowed into the building. Please do not bring large bags or suitcases to the Octagon Centre. There will be person searches on entry.
- Anyone who appears to be under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted entry.
Please arrive as near as possible to the published opening times, bearing in mind that security checks on the door take place.
Accessibility and support
We are committed to making graduation inclusive and accessible for all our graduands and guests. If you have accessibility or support requirements, please note these in the appropriate section of the registration form and we will do our best to ensure suitable arrangements are put in place.
Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to talk through the options available to you. Please give us ample notice to put arrangements in place
Ceremony and robing venues
The Octagon Centre is accessible by ramp and has lifts and accessible toilet facilities. More detailed information can be found on AccessAble.
Items such as mobility scooters and pushchairs should be left in the cloakroom once guests have taken their seats as it is not possible to store them in the ceremony hall.
Robing is on Level 4 of the Students’ Union. The building is accessible by level access and contains lifts and accessible toilet facilities. The Octagon centre can be access from the Student’s Union via the link bridge. More detailed information can be found on AccessAble.
Gender neutral toilets are located in the Students’ Union Building, next door to the Octagon Centre.
The Students’ Union Building (Level 2) has a Prayer Room with Wudu facilities.
Parking information can be found above.
What happens in the ceremony
Before the ceremony
- Graduands need to be in their allocated seat 40 minutes prior to the ceremony start time. University marshals undertake student registration from seats in the hall.
- Graduands sit in the two front blocks, seat numbers are on tickets.
- Guests have seats in the remainder of the hall.
- University staff stewards will be in the hall to assist graduands to their seats if necessary.
- There will be a keepsake graduation programme on all graduands seats. Programmes for guests can be found in the dispensers around the hall.
During the ceremony
- Ceremonies last between 45-90 minutes
- Everyone in the hall will be invited to stand, if they are able, for the staff and officers processions. The two processions will make their way on to the platform.
- The Presiding Officer will declare the ceremony open, ask graduands and guests to be seated and give a few words of welcome.
- Marshals will direct graduands out of their rows and re-check names. As graduands leave their seat they must ensure they follow the graduand immediately in front of them. Graduands must not change position in the queue.
- Once graduands are at the bottom of the stairs their names will be checked again. There will also be a member of the Edes and Ravenscroft robing team to check robes.
- Graduands will ascend a short flight of steps onto the platform (alternative access can be arranged if we are notified in advance). Names will be checked again and then read out by the Presenter. Graduands will proceed across the stage, doff their cap to the Presiding Officer and descend the steps at the other end of the stage.
- Once off the stage, graduands will be given their certificate (if they have not already received it).
- Stewards will direct graduands back to their seats.
- Some ceremonies will have a honorary degree. This is usually presented in the middle of the ceremony.
After the ceremony
- After all students have graduated, the Presiding Officer will deliver a closing speech.
- Following the speech, the Presiding Officer will declare the ceremony closed and the staff and officers processions will depart
- Once the staff and officers processions have left, Marshals will lead a graduand procession.
- The graduand procession will lead out to the Octagon Foyer or Octagon Bar area depending on the block. Once in the Octagon Foyer and Octagon Bar area, graduands must leave the Octagon via the main doors and meet guests outside on the concourse.
Dining and activities on campus
Some departments hold receptions before or after the ceremonies. Please contact your department about these.
A full list of what is taking place at the Students' Union will be available soon.
Coffee Revolution and Interval are open all week serving breakfast and lunch options. The Interval also live streams the ceremonies.
Ceremonies will be live streamed in the Students' Union Auditorium. Tickets are not required.
Inox is the perfect place for a special graduation meal on campus. Their graduation menu can be found on their website.
A full list of the University's cafes can be found here.
More information will be available later in the year.
The ceremonies will be live streamed. More information will be available nearer the time.
The Alumni Relations Team will be on hand throughout graduation week to welcome you into the Sheffield Alumni family and help make sure you stay connected after you’ve finished your course.
More information will be available nearer the time.
More information will be available nearer the time.