Dr Judy Clegg, BSc, PhD, FRCSLT.
Department of Human Communication Sciences
University of Sheffield
362 Mushroom Lane
Tel: +44 (0) 114 22 22450
Fax: +44 (0) 114 2222439
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a Senior Lecturer in the department of Human Communication Sciences, University of Sheffield. I am a Joint Director of Professional Development and the Course Director for the BMedSci (Speech), which is the four-year undergraduate degree to qualify as a speech and language therapist.
I qualified as a Speech and Language Therapist in 1997 and completed my PhD in 2002. Prior to joining the department in February 2002, I worked as a clinical Speech and Language Therapist in Chesterfield and North Derbyshire NHS Trust, St Andrews Hospital, Northampton and Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham.
I hold an honorary clinical contract with the Sheffield Speech and Language Therapy Agency. Through this I work as a speech and language therapist with the tier 4 child and adolescent mental health services in Sheffield and through the Philippa Cottam Communication Clinic in the department (http://www.shef.ac.uk/hcs/about/clinic). I am also a Registered Intermediary with the Home Office as part of the Vulnerable Witness Scheme. I am a registered member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and the Health and Care Professions Council.
Developmental speech, language and communication needs:
- Developmental trajectories and long term outcomes of children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
- Impact of social disadvantage on children’s speech, language and communication development
- Complex co-morbidity between speech and language development, social disadvantage, behavior and mental health in children and adolescents
- Evaluating the effectiveness of speech and language therapy interventions for children and adolescents
- Investigating children’s language, communication and behavior in the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC). Funded by the Department for Education. PI: Professor Sue Roulstone, University of the West of England (UWE). 2011- ongoing.
- Evaluating the implementation of Intensive Interaction for people with profound and multiple learning disabilities (PMLD) in day service provision. Funded by a Knowledge Transfer Partnership, University of Sheffield and NHS Sheffield. PI: Judy Clegg. RA: Rachael Black. 2011-2013.
- Communication for life: enabling effective communication for adolescents with severe and complex communication disability: an online learning resource. Funded by a Collaborative Research & Development and Partnership Award, University of Sheffield and Freeman College, Sheffield. PI Judy Clegg and Sarah Spencer. RA: Carla Rohde. 2012-ongoing.
- Evaluation of the impact of vocabulary intervention for secondary school students in an area of social disadvantage. Faculty Research Grant. PI Sarah Spencer. RA: Billie Lowe. 2012-2014.
- Evaluating interventions for children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN): developing a model for measuring outcomes in educational contexts. PI Maggie Vance. RA: Carolyn Brown. 2011-2013.
Current PhD Students
Christina Haupt: Challenges of Roma/Gyspy pupil with English as an additional language in British Primary Education – a mixed methods approach
Tom Hopkins: Language and literacy skills of young offenders: quantitative and qualitative perspectives
Mary Hartshorne: Evaluation of a whole school language programme in secondary schools: impact on students’ learning and communication skills
Rachel Black: Using participative research methods to explore the experiences of parents and carers of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities
Spencer, S., Clegg, J., & Stackhouse, J. (2013). Language, social class and education: listening to adolescents’ perceptions. Language and Education, 27, 2, 129-143.
Spencer, S., Clegg, J., & Stackhouse, J. (2012) Language and Disadvantage: a comparison of the language abilities of adolescents from two different socioeconomic areas. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 47, 3, 274-284.
Clegg, J., Ansorge, L., & Stackhouse, J. (2012). Developmental communication impairments in adults: outcomes and life experiences of the adults and their parents. Language, Speech and Hearing Services in Schools, 43, 4, 521-535
Roulstone, S., Law, J., Rush, R., Clegg, J., & Peters, T. (2012). Investigating the role of language in children’s early educational outcomes. Department for Education. Research Report DFE-RR134.
Law, J., Rush, R., Clegg, J., Roulstone, S., & Peters, T. (In Press). Role of pragmatic language in adolescent behaviour: a general population cohort study. Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Clegg, J. (In Press). Curriculum vocabulary learning intervention for children with emotional and behavioural difficulties (EBD): findings from a case study series. Journal of Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties
Sowden, H., Clegg, J. & Perkins, M. (In Press). The development of co-speech gesture in the communication of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics.