Dr Stuart Cunningham
Division of Human Communication Sciences, Health Sciences School
+44 114 222 2421
Full contact details
Division of Human Communication Sciences, Health Sciences School
362 Mushroom Lane
Dr Cunningham is a senior lecturer in Human Communication Sciences. Prior to joining the department he worked as a research associate in the department of Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering at Barnsley Hospital.
He has previously worked as a research associate in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Sheffield.
He obtained a BEng in Software Engineering and PhD in Computer Science from the University of Sheffield.
- Research interests
Robust automatic speech recognition. The use of speech technology in assistive technology and speech and language therapy.
Auditory-inspired representations of speech signals and their application in automatic speech recognition.
The perception of speech in adverse acoustic conditions.
- Speech Therapy through Articulation Therapy - with Mark Hawley, Peter Cudd, Rebecca Palmer, and Pam Enderby.
University of Sheffield.
- Natural Speech Technology - PI Steve Renals (University of Edinburgh). EPSRC Programme Grant.
- Voice Input Voice Output Communication Aid - PI Mark Hawley. NIHR i4i programme.
- Development of test of audio visual speech perception for children - with Dilys Treharne and Harriet Crook. British Society of Audiology.
- Mark Hawley, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield.
- Pam Enderby, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield.
- Phil Green, Department of Computer Science, The University of Sheffield.
- Evaluating Use of the Doppler Effect to Enhance Auditory Alerts. International Journal of Human–Computer Interaction, 37(11), 1074-1087.
- Robot companion cats for people at home with dementia: A qualitative case study on companotics. Dementia, 20(4), 1300-1318.
- Acoustic Differences in Emotional Speech of People with Dysarthria. Speech Communication.
- Accessibility, Inclusion, and Rehabilitation Using Information Technologies. Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2020, 1-2.
- Analyses of Sustained Vowels in Down Syndrome (DS): A Case Study Using Spectrograms and Perturbation Data to Investigate Voice Quality in Four Adults With DS. Journal of Voice, 32(5), 644.e11-644.e24. View this article in WRRO
- What is the potential for context aware communication aids?. Journal of Medical Engineering & Technology, 39(7), 448-453. View this article in WRRO
- Speaker sex effects on temporal and spectrooral measures of speech. Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 44(1), 59-74.
- Building personalised synthetic voices for individuals with severe speech impairment. Computer Speech and Language, 27(6), 1178-1193.
- A Voice-Input Voice-Output Communication Aid for People with Severe Speech Impairment. IEEE Transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering, 1(21), 23-31.
- Describing the interactive domestic robot setup for the SERA project. Applied Artificial Intelligence, 25(6), 445-473.
- Reconstructing the voice of an individual following laryngectomy. AAC: Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 27(1), 61-66.
- Research on social engagement with a rabbitic user interface. Roots for the Future of Ambient Intelligence - Adjunct Proceedings, 3rd European Conference on Ambient Intelligence, AmI 2009, 65-68.
- An acoustic investigation into coarticulation and speech motor control: High vs. low frequency syllables.. Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, Acoustical Society of America..
- An acoustic investigation into coarticulation and speech motor control: High vs. low frequency syllables. Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, 4.
- A speech-controlled environmental control system for people with severe dysarthria.. Med Eng Phys, 29(5), 586-593.
- An audio-visual corpus for speech perception and automatic speech recognition.. J Acoust Soc Am, 120(5 Pt 1), 2421-2424.
- Automatic speech recognition and training for severely dysarthric users of assistive technology: the STARDUST project.. Clin Linguist Phon, 20(2-3), 149-156.
- Speech technology for e-inclusion of people with physical disabilities and disordered speech. 9th European Conference on Speech Communication and Technology, 445-448.
- View this article in WRRO The effect of three practice conditions,on the consistency of chronic dysarthric speech. JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY, 12(4), 183-188.
- View this article in WRRO A voice-input voice-output communication aid for people with severe speech impairment.. IEEE Trans on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering.
- Augmenting Virtual Spaces: Affective Feedback in Computer Games, Springer Series on Cultural Computing (pp. 229-247).
- The development of new technology in creative music applications, SpringerBriefs in Computer Science (pp. 57-66).
- In-game intoxication: Demonstrating the evaluation of the audio experience of games with a focus on altered states of consciousness, Games User Research: A Case Study Approach (pp. 97-118).
- Building personalised synthetic voices for individuals with dysarthria using the HTS toolkit In Mullennix J & Stern S (Ed.), Computer Synthesized Speech Technologies Medical Info Science Reference
- Building personalized synthetic voices for individuals with dysarthria using the HTS toolkit In Mullennix JW & Stern SE (Ed.), Computer Synthesized Speech Technologies: tools for aiding impairment (pp. 92-115). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Conference proceedings papers
- Statistical Models for Predicting Results in Professional League of Legends (pp 138-152)
- A Novel Pandemic Delivery Pattern for a New Digital User Experience Degree Apprenticeship (pp 335-342)
- Nature soundscapes: An audio augmented reality experience. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series (pp 85-92)
- Audio emotion recognition using machine learning to support sound design. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series (pp 116-123)
- Phase-Based Feature Representations for Improving Recognition of Dysarthric Speech. 2018 IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop (SLT) (pp 13-20), 18 December 2018 - 21 December 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Phase-Based Feature Representations for Improving Recognition of Dysarthric Speech. 2018 IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop (SLT), 18 December 2018 - 21 December 2018.
- High-level analysis of audio features for identifying emotional valence in human singing. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
- Auditory masking and the precedence effect in studies of musical timekeeping. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
- Collaborative artificial intelligence in music production. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
- Embedding speech technology into intelligent tutoring systems using the CloudCAST speech technology platform. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 10858 LNCS (pp 421-424)
- Image matching principles in photometrical transformations. 2017 Internet Technologies and Applications, ITA 2017 - Proceedings of the 7th International Conference (pp 81-85)
- Application of formal grammar in text mining and construction of an ontology. 2017 Internet Technologies and Applications, ITA 2017 - Proceedings of the 7th International Conference (pp 53-57)
- “More Cowbell”: Measuring beat consistency with respect to tempo and metronome variations. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, Vol. Part F131930
- Simulating auditory hallucinations in a video game: Three prototype mechanisms. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, Vol. Part F131930
- Cloud-Based Speech Technology for Assistive Technology Applications (CloudCAST). Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 322-329) View this article in WRRO
- The sound of the smell (and taste) of my shoes too: Mapping the senses using emotion as a medium. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, Vol. 04-06-October-2016 (pp 28-33)
- View this article in WRRO A framework for collecting realistic recordings of dysarthric speech - The homeService corpus. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2016 (pp 1993-1997)
- Investigating environmental causes of TCP retransmission and flags in wireless networks. Proceedings of the 11th International Network Conference, INC 2016 (pp 37-41)
- Model adaptation and adaptive training for the recognition of dysarthric speech. Proceedings of SLPAT 2015: 6th Workshop on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies, Vol. W15-5112 (pp 65-71). Dresden, Germany, 11 September 2015 - 11 September 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Remote Speech Technology for Speech Professionals - the CloudCAST initiative. Proceedings of SLPAT 2015: 6th Workshop on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies, September 2015 - September 2015.
- Bark and Hz scaled F2 Locus equations: Sex differences and individual differences.. pp.1-5 retrieved from: https://www.internationalphoneticassociation.org/icphs-proceedings/ICPhS2015/Papers/ICPHS0351.pdf. Glasgow, UK: the University of Glasgow
- Dysarthric vocal interfaces with minimal training data. 2014 IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop (SLT), 7 December 2014 - 10 December 2014.
- Automatic selection of speakers for improved acoustic modelling: recognition of disordered speech with sparse data. 2014 IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop (SLT), 7 December 2014 - 10 December 2014.
- HomeService: Voice-enabled assistive technology in the home using cloud-based automatic speech recognition. SLPAT 2013 - 4th Workshop on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies, SLPAT 2013, Workshop Proceedings (pp 29-34)
- A comparative study of adaptive, automatic recognition of disordered speech. 13th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association 2012, INTERSPEECH 2012, Vol. 2 (pp 1774-1777)
- Personalizing synthetic voices for people with progressive speech disorders: judging voice similarity. INTERSPEECH 2009: 10TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE INTERNATIONAL SPEECH COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION 2009, VOLS 1-5 (pp 1451-1454)
- An acoustic investigation into coarticulation and speech motor control: high vs. low frequency syllables. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 123(5) (pp 3071-3071)
- View this article in WRRO Challenges in developing a Voice Input Voice Output Communication Aid for People with Severe Dysarthria. CHALLENGES FOR ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY, Vol. 20 (pp 363-367)
- Development of a voice-input voice-output communication aid (VIVOCA) for people with severe dysarthria. COMPUTERS HELPING PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4061 (pp 882-885)
- An integrated toolkit deploying speech technology for computer based speech training with application to dysarthric speakers.. INTERSPEECH
- On the intelligibility of bandpass-filtered speech. BRITISH JOURNAL OF AUDIOLOGY, Vol. 34(2) (pp 104-105)
- Recognising Emotions in Dysarthric Speech Using Typical Speech Data. Interspeech 2020
- CloudCAST — Remote Speech Technology for Speech Professionals. Interspeech 2016
- Towards the Understanding of Communicating Emotions for People with Dysarthria. Workshop in Speech and Hearing Disorders (WSPD 2018)