Dr. John Fenner (CPhys, MInstP)
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
I am a Medical Physicist by profession I am registered with the Health Professions Council in the UK. My career began in 1984 with the Department of Clinical Physics and Bioengineering in Glasgow, eventually leading to appointment as Senior Physicist, providing scientific support to the Department of Cardiac Surgery in Glasgow Royal Infirmary. I joined the University of Sheffield in 1996 and have been involved with a breadth of Medical Physics research related to radiation, simulation and validation. I have been a major technical contributor to numerous EU projects and most recently I have been leading the Sheffield contribution to the data component of the Virtual Physiological Human (VPH) initiative in Sheffield. My primary interests have led to publications in medical radiation physics, aspects of diagnostic imaging and the VPH.
- Radiation physics (ionising and non –ionising).
- The Virtual Physiological Human.
- Undergraduate teaching on the Sheffield Medical Physics course.
- Physics teaching in support of clinical professional accreditation (FRCR).
- PhD supervision.
- Chartered Physicist (CPhys).
- State Registered Clinical Scientist (Health Professions Council, CS00737).
- Member of the Institute of Physics (MInstP).
- Associate editor - Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology.
- The NoE, Infrastructure and the Challenge of Call6
VPH Network of Excellence. £50,000
Awarded July 2010
- Identification of Abdominal Adhesions by Dynamic Image Registration (extension).
Bardhan Education and Research Trust of Rotherham (BRET). £7,500.
Awarded Oct 2009
- Virtual Physiological Human Network of Excellence.
EU FP7-ICT-2007.5.3. (WP3) £240,000.
Awarded June 2008
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Fenner JW, Brook B, Clapworthy G, Coveney PV, Feipel V, Gregersen H, Hose DR, Kohl P, Lawford P, McCormack KM, Pinney D, Thomas SR, Van Sint Jan S, Waters S & Viceconti M (2008) The EuroPhysiome, STEP and a roadmap for the virtual physiological human.. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 366(1878), 2979-2999.
- Berti G, Lonsdale G, Schmidt JG, Benkner S, Hose DR, Fenner JW, Jones DM, Middleton SE & Wollny G (2008) GRID SIMULATION SERVICES FOR THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY. INT J COMPUT METHODS, 5(2), 289-317.
Conference proceedings papers
- Cooper J, Cervenansky F, De Fabritiis G, Fenner J, Friboulet D, Giorgino T, Manos S, Martelli Y, Villa-Freixa J, Zasada S, Lloyd S, McCormack K & Coveney PV (2010) The Virtual Physiological Human TOOLKIT. PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES, Vol. 368(1925) (pp 3925-3936)
- Hunter P, Coveney PV, de Bono B, Diaz V, Fenner J, Frangi AF, Harris P, Hose R, Kohl P, Lawford P, McCormack K, Mendes M, Omholt S, Quarteroni A, Skar J, Tegner J, Thomas SR, Tollis I, Tsamardinos I, van Beek JHGM & Viceconti M (2010) A vision and strategy for the virtual physiological human in 2010 and beyond. PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY A-MATHEMATICAL PHYSICAL AND ENGINEERING SCIENCES, Vol. 368(1920) (pp 2595-2614)
- Wright B, Fenner J, Gillott R, Spencer P, Lawford PV & Bardhan KD (2009) Patterns, Movement and Clinical Diagnosis of Abdominal Adhesions.. PRIB, Vol. 5780 (pp 415-426)