The University of Sheffield Africa scholarship 2023
In partnership with the University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship Trust, the Department of Geography was pleased to offer one scholarship for a postgraduate taught student from Africa in 2023.
The information on this page relates to 2023 entry. Information for 2024 entry will be published when available.
The 2023 scholarship offered the following support:
- A full tuition fee waiver
- Maintenance stipend
Eligibility criteria (2023)
1. You must have held an offer to study on one of the following courses starting in September 2023 at the University of Sheffield
- MA International Development
- MSc Environmental Change and International Development
- MPH International Development
2. You must be classified as overseas for tuition fee purposes.
3. You must be self-funded to receive this award, ie not funded by a research council, government, private enterprise, charity or any similar organisation.
4. You must not already hold a qualification equal to or higher than a masters.
5. You must not have already studied outside of your home country.
6. This scholarship cannot be awarded in conjunction with any other funding awards, either from the University of Sheffield or external sources.
7. Your mode of attendance must be full-time.
8. Receipt of the scholarship is subject to successfully meeting any condition(s) attached to your offer before the deadline provided by the Admissions Service.
9. Receipt of the scholarship is subject to successfully receiving a visa to study at the University in September 2023.
10. You must be a national of or permanently domiciled in an African country.
How to apply (2023)
The deadline to apply was 1.00pm (UK time) Wednesday 24 May 2023.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application before the end of June 2023.
Selection process (2023)
This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful; a panel of senior members of staff will select the strongest application.
The panel will be looking to see in particular if you have:
- an excellent academic record
- provided a clear rationale for applying for a postgraduate course at the University of Sheffield
- outlined challenges to academic and professional progress and detailed how these barriers have been overcome successfully
- outlined examples of work experience in the field of International Development, including community and voluntary work
- clearly articulated future ambitions; these goals relate to the postgraduate degree you have applied for, and how your learning will benefit others from your country or Africa in general
Consideration will also be given as to whether candidates may have experienced discrimination because of personal characteristics such as their gender, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.
Upcoming events for offer holders and enquirers
We're running a series of information sessions, student panels and virtual activities to help you understand what Sheffield has to offer.