Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
The Application Process:
How to apply:
All students must submit their applications via the on-line application page. This link will take you to the Alternative Routes and Programmes application site.
Please ensure you include all the relevant documents at the time of your application otherwise this may lead to it being rejected. The Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has agreed to take three students per month for a four week period. All places for 2018 have currently been filled and we are now considering applications for 2019. Elective periods will run for four weeks starting on the 1st Wednesday of each month. The Trusts are not in a position to accommodate students whose elective time falls outside this period.
Your initial application will be processed by the University of Sheffield to ensure you have student status and access to University facilities. On your application, you will be required to choose three departments within the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (STH). Once this initial processing is complete, your application will then be shared with STH staff within The Medical Education Centre who will, if possible, then allocate you to a department of your choice by contacting the relevant supervisor(s).
Please note, at present, we are unable to arrange elective placements at the Sheffield Children's Hospital.
Please note that we cannot guarantee a placement for all students.
Requirements to submit with your application:
Once the deadline has passed all application will be processed by the University of Sheffield to ensure all relevant documents are in place. Then, as stated above, those applications will be looked at by the Medical Education Centre within STH to link you to a suitable clinical supervisor.
Once we receive confirmation from the departments, we will then send you an offer of an elective placement. With the offer you will be required to make an online payment of £265 and complete a pre-placement Health questionnaire which will be assessed by one of the occupational health specialist nurses.
All successful students will be required to attend an appointment at our Occupational Health Service on the first day of their clinical attachment, so that full health clearance can be given prior to the start of the attachment. Students will not be allowed to attend placement until they have attend their occupational health appointment.
Providing you meet all of the conditions of your offer, we will then send you a letter of final confirmation detailing appointments for your first day of placement.
This will include:
- Occupational Health Appointment
- Induction with the Medical School and the relevant NHS Foundation Trust
- Registration with the University
- Meeting your Clinical Supervisor
Visas and Fees - Visas for students outside of EU
Once an offer has been made and accepted, it is the responsibility of the overseas applicant to obtain the necessary visa for their elective attachment
1) Check the UK Border Agency website at: https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa for information about Short Term Study Visa requirements.
2) A new amendment to the UKVI regulations (January 2018) has been made so that overseas medical elective students can now use the Short-Term Study Visa route rather than having to apply for a Tier 4 visa. You must ensure that you fulfil all the criteria for Short Term Study Visa and have all the documentation required to obtain entry to the UK in time to take up an elective placement including evidence of ability to pay fees, and evidence of ability to pay living costs for the duration of the elective placement.
3) Students will be required to provide confirmation of their overseas medical course, and that the medical elective relates to it, from their overseas medical education provider with their visa application. Sheffield Admissions will issue Short-Term Study Visa letters to such applicants to support their Short-Term Student Visa application rather than a CAS for a Tier 4 visa application. For full details of this process please see our webpages at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/short-term-students
4) Please note that neither the admissions service nor the Medical School can assist with visa applications other than by providing the Certification of Acceptance.
5) Please note that placements cannot be re-arranged if visas are not obtained in time to start on the agreed date nor can the £265 acceptance fee be refunded.
We recommend that you apply for your visa promptly as approval can take considerable time.
There is no fee to apply for the Sheffield Electives Programme. If accepted, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable £265 administrative charge to secure your placement.