The Application Process:
How to apply:
Your initial application will be processed by the University of Sheffield. This ensures you will have, if successful, Sheffield University student status and access to University facilities. On your application, you will be required to choose three departments within the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (STH). Once this initial processing is complete, your application will then be shared with STH staff within the Medical Education Department who will, if possible, allocate you to a department of your choice by contacting the relevant supervisor(s). If your first choice department is not available, they will try to allocate you to your second or third choice.
Once a clinical supervisor is identified and if your application is deemed satisfactory, an offer will be made to you. You then have fifteen working days to accept or decline this offer through University Admissions.
At the point of accepting the offer, you will also be required to pay the administration fee of £300.
This should be done through the University’s on-line store. You will need to provide a copy of the receipt to the electives administrator.
All successful students will be required to complete an Occupational Health questionnaire before undertaking their elective. After completing the questionnaire, students may be required to attend an Occupational Health appointment on the first day of their clinical attachment, so that full health clearance can be given prior to the start of the attachment. Students will not be allowed to attend placement until they have received clearance from the Occupational Health Team.
Providing you meet all of the conditions of your offer, we will then send you a letter of final confirmation detailing appointments for your first day of placement.
This will include:
- Induction with the Medical School and the relevant NHS Foundation Trust
- Occupational Health Appointment (if applicable)
- Registration with the University
- Meeting your Clinical Supervisor
Visas and Fees - Visas for students outside of EU
Once an offer has been made and accepted, it is the responsibility of the overseas applicant to obtain the necessary visa for their elective attachment
1) Check the UK Border Agency website at: https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa for information about Short Term Study Visa requirements.
2) An amendment to the UKVI regulations (January 2018) meant that overseas medical elective students can now use the Short-Term Study Visa route rather than having to apply for a Tier 4 visa. You must ensure that you fulfil all the criteria for Short Term Study Visa and have all the documentation required to obtain entry to the UK in time to take up an elective placement including evidence of ability to pay fees, and evidence of ability to pay living costs for the duration of the elective placement.
3) Students will be required to provide confirmation of their overseas medical course, and that the medical elective relates to it, from their overseas medical education provider with their visa application. Sheffield Admissions will issue Short-Term Study Visa letters to such applicants to support their Short-Term Student Visa application rather than a CAS for a Tier 4 visa application. For full details of this process please see our webpages at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/short-term-students
4) Please note that neither the admissions service nor the Medical School can assist with visa applications other than by providing the Certification of Acceptance.
5) Please note that placements cannot be re-arranged if visas are not obtained in time to start on the agreed date.
We recommend that you apply for your visa promptly as approval can take considerable time.
There is no fee to apply for the Sheffield Electives Programme. If you accept an offer of a placement, you will be asked to pay a £300 administrative charge.