Dr Julian Burton
Academic Unit of Medical Education
Senior Teaching Fellow
Senate Award Fellow in Learning and Teaching
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
+44 114 222 5545
Full contact details
Academic Unit of Medical Education
The Medical School
Beech Hill Road
I joined the University in 1998 as Clinical Lecturer in Histopathology. I rapidly became involved in the delivery and management of the MBChB curriculum. In 2002 I designed the first phase of the curriculum, which was launched in 2003.
I was awarded a Masters in Education in 2003 and a Senate Fellowship for Excellence in Learning and Teaching in 2005.
In 2010 I was voted Personal Tutor of the Year for the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health by the University of Sheffield Union of Students. In 2011 I was voted Lecturer of the Year by the Medical Society.
I am currently Senior Teaching Fellow in Medical Education.
I am the MBChB Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions and the deputy Phase 1 Director of Studies. I have been appointed by Senate to the University Discipline Committee 2017-2020.
- Research interests
My research interest is the use of selection methods to choose from applicants to the MBChB programme.
- Postmortem microbiology sampling following death in hospital: an ESGFOR task force consensus statement. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 72(5), 329-336.
- Post-mortem microbiology in sudden death: sampling protocols proposed in different clinical settings. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 25(5), 570-579.
- The effects of postmortem CT scanning all cases entering a UK public mortuary: a 3-month pilot. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 70(10), 903-905.
- Distribution of TAM relative to blood vessels in prostate carcinoma. Egyptian Journal of Pathology, 32(2), 217-226. View this article in WRRO
- Use of macrophages to target therapeutic adenovirus to human prostate tumors.. Cancer Res, 71(5), 1805-1815.
- Importance of the hospital autopsy in clinical governance, teaching and research. British Journal of Hospital Medicine, 72(5), 244-245.
- Clinical, educational, and epidemiological value of autopsy.. Lancet, 369(9571), 1471-1480.
- Teaching pathology to medical undergraduates. Current Diagnostic Pathology, 11(5), 308-316.
- A bite into the history of the autopsy: From ancient roots to modern decay. Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology, 1(4), 277-284.
- Videos have a role in postgraduate necropsy education.. J Clin Pathol, 57(8), 877-881.
- Medical educators' personal attitudes towards the necropsy. J CLIN PATHOL, 56(12), 950-951.
- The autopsy in modern undergraduate medical education: a qualitative study of uses and curriculum considerations.. Med Educ, 37(12), 1073-1081.
- Refining the diagnosis of hydatidiform mole: image ploidy analysis and p57KIP2 immunohistochemistry.. Histopathology, 43(4), 363-373.
- Artificial intelligence in predicting bladder cancer outcome: a comparison of neuro-fuzzy modeling and artificial neural networks.. Clin Cancer Res, 9(11), 4172-4177.
- Differential expression of hMLH1 and hMSH2 is related to bladder cancer grade, stage and prognosis but not microsatellite instability.. Int J Cancer, 105(4), 484-490.
- Necropsy practice after the "organ retention scandal": requests, performance, and tissue retention.. J Clin Pathol, 56(7), 537-541.
- Health and safety at necropsy.. J Clin Pathol, 56(4), 254-260.
- Effect of over-expression of bone morphogenetic protein-6 on tumour growth in an in vivo model of prostate cancer. European Urology Supplements, 2(1), 62-62.
- Kayser-Fleischer like rings in alcoholic liver disease: a case report.. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 15(1), 91-93.
- Image and flow cytometric analyses of DNA content in hydatidiform moles: a comparative study. J PATHOL, 198, 1A-1A.
- The effect of phytoestrogens on the female genital tract.. J Clin Pathol, 55(6), 401-407.
- Offline telepathology diagnosis of colorectal polyps: a study of interobserver agreement and comparison with glass slide diagnoses.. J Clin Pathol, 55(4), 305-308.
- Differential expression of mismatch repair proteins, MLH1 and MSH2, in Transitional Cell Carcinoma (TCC) of the bladder. European Urology Supplements, 1(1), 22-22.
- The Alder Hey affair.. Arch Dis Child, 86(1), 4-7.
- Getting consent for necropsies - Perhaps we should seek consent to show necropsies to students. BRIT MED J, 323(7326), 1426-1426.
- The Alder Hey affair: implications for pathology practice. J CLIN PATHOL, 54(11), 820-823.
- Successful demand management in histopathology: a model using sputum cytology. J CLIN PATHOL, 54(11), 896-896.
- Are clinicians failing to supply adequate information when requesting a histopathological investigation?. J Clin Pathol, 54(10), 806-808.
- A comparative interobserver study of offline telepathology and conventional glass slide diagnosis of colorectal polyps. J PATHOL, 195, 14A-14A.
- Hp or not Hp: is cholelithiasis associated with Helicobacter pylori infection of the gallbladder?. J PATHOL, 195, 25A-25A.
- Hypoxic macrophages accumulate in avascular, hypoxic areas of prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia.. J PATHOL, 195, 33A-33A.
- Over-diagnosis of hydatidiform mole in early tubal ectopic pregnancy.. Histopathology, 38(5), 409-417.
- Curriculum or syllabus: which are we reforming? . Med Teach, 23(2), 187-191.
- Getting consent for necropsies  (multiple letters). British Medical Journal, 323(7326), 1426.
- Over-diagnosis of hydatidiform mole in early tubal ectopic pregnancy.. J PATHOL, 192, 24A-24A.
- Macrophages accumulate in avascular, hypoxic areas of prostate tumours: implications for targeted therapeutic gene delivery to such sites.. J PATHOL, 192, 8A-8A.
- Demand management in urine cytology: a single cytospin slide is sufficient.. J Clin Pathol, 53(9), 718-719.
- What levels of agreement can be expected between histopathologists assigning cases to discrete nominal categories? A study of the diagnosis of hyperplastic and adenomatous colorectal polyps.. Mod Pathol, 13(9), 941-944.
- Does p53 expression correlate with p21 expression in cancer of the uterine corpus?. J PATHOL, 191(3), 341-341.
- Evidence-based learning: A lack of evidence - Commentary. MED TEACH, 22(2), 136-136.
- What level of performance can be expected from histopathologists on a simple live class diagnostic distinction task? Art appreciation or something more useful?. J PATHOL, 190, 32A-32A.
- Great expectorations: Demand management of sputum cytology leads to 86% reduction. J PATHOL, 190, 54A-54A.
- Evidence-based learning: a lack of evidence - Letter to the Editor. Medical Teacher, 22(2), 136-140.
- Angiogenesis in gynaecological cancer. CME Journal of Gynecologic Oncology, 5(2), 156-163.
- A diagnostic approach to endometrial biopsies: Selected topics. Current Diagnostic Pathology, 6(1), 13-20.
- Recent advances in the histopathology and molecular biology of prostate cancer.. BJU Int, 85(1), 87-94.
- p53 expression, p21 expression and the apoptotic index in endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma.. Histopathology, 35(3), 221-229.
- Quantitative pathological prognostic factors in epithelial ovarian cancer. CME Journal of Gynecologic Oncology, 4(2), 151-153.
- Adenocarcinoma of the cervix. Current Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 9(3), 124-129.
- The role of apoptosis in the prognosis of epithelial ovarian carcinoma. CME Journal of Gynecologic Oncology, 4(2), 238-242.
- Do p53 expression, p21 expression and the apoptotic index correlate in endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma?. J PATHOL, 187, 28A-28A.
- Urine cytology using the cytospin preparation: a single slide is sufficient.. J PATHOL, 189, 16A-16A.
- Are clinicians failing to provide adequate information when requesting a histopathological investigation?. J PATHOL, 189, 22A-22A.
- Direct sequencing of the p53 gene shows absence of mutations in endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinomas expressing p53 protein.. Histopathology, 33(5), 440-445.
- Recent advances in the histopathology and molecular pathology of carcinoma of the endometrium.. Histopathology, 33(4), 297-303.
- Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the breast in the absence of Epstein-Barr virus. BREAST, 7(4), 233-235.
- The histopathology and histogenesis of teratomas of the ovary. CME Journal of Gynecologic Oncology, 3(2), 167-176.
- Scoring grade and stage in chronic hepatitis: clinical utility not matched by histopathological reproducibility. J PATHOL, 186, 32A-32A.
- The Central Nervous System, with Eye and Ear, Atlas of Adult Autopsy (pp. 271-297). Springer International Publishing
- The Radioactive Autopsy, Essentials of Autopsy Practice (pp. 53-83). Springer London
- Essentials of Autopsy Practice In Rutty GN (Ed.), Essentials of Autopsy Practice (pp. 53-84). Springer Science & Business Media
Conference proceedings papers
- An Analysis of the Benefits and Limitations of Post-Mortem Computed Tomography (PMCT) in Unselected Cases. JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY, Vol. 245 (pp S13-S13)
- Tutors' personal attitudes to the autopsy.. JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY, Vol. 201 (pp 46A-46A)
- Videos have a role in postgraduate autopsy education.. JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY, Vol. 201 (pp 46A-46A)
- Complementary use of p57(KIP2) immunohistochemistry and automated image cytometry refines the diagnosis of hydatidiform moles. JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY, Vol. 201 (pp 12A-12A)
- The multiple positive (and negative) uses of the autopsy in the modern undergraduate medical curriculum: tutor's perspectives.. JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY, Vol. 201 (pp 46A-46A)
- Teaching activities
- Detection of plagiarism
- Student support
- Curriculum Design/Management
- Professional activities
I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions and run the Admissions process for the MBChB degree programme at the University of Sheffield. I am the deputy Phase 1 Director of Studies.
I run the on-line histology course for Phase 1 MBChB students. I co-ordinate the first module (Introduction to Medicine and Medical Sciences) of the programme and the first student selected component (History of Medicine). I deliver lectures on histology, physiology and pathology to students in Phases 1 and 2 of the MBChB curriculum.
I am a Phase 1 MBBS External Examiner at Hull York Medical School. I am a Phase 1 MBChB External Examiner at the University of Manchester Medical School.
I am Education Secretary, Website Content Editor and chair of the Communications Committee for the Association of Clinical Pathologists (ACP), and sit on the ACP Council.