Student Research Projects
Current Research Projects
Students currently plan a research project, apply for ethical approval through Interegrated Research Application System (IRAS), carry out, analyse and write up a research study. Current topics being investigated are:
- Comparison of Vision Tests in Children aged 4-5 years
- Difference between near and distance VA in amblyopia
- A comparison of the "visualFieldseasy" application for iPad with the Humphrey Visual Field Analyser to diagnose and classify visual field defects in patients post-stroke
- The effect of Fresnel prisms on the binocular visual functions in a clinical population
- The effect of unilateral Fresnel prisms on visual function with both eyes
- Does the level of amblyopia associated with anisometropia affect performance on the TNO and Frisby Near Stereotest in children between the ages of 4 and 9?
- Stereopsis in Anisometropic Amblyopia using Random Dot and Real Depth Stereotests
- Test-retest reliability of Goldmann visual field testing in children with neurofibromatosis type 1 associated optic pathway gliomas
- Comparison of the Retinal Thickness and Retinal Nerve Fibre Layer Thickness using SD-OCT between treated and untreated children with anisometropic or strabismic amblyopia in comparison to healthy eyes
- An Optical Coherence Tomography measurement comparison of macular and retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness in high myopia and low myopia in Indonesian children
- Exploration of psychosocial and economic barriers towards spectacle use in District Attock, Pakistan
- Does using an interactive whiteboard affect reading performance in the classroom?
- Do the changes that occur in visual acuity in children undergoing amblyopia therapy differ at near and distance?
- A comparison of the logMAR crowded and Sonksen logMAR visual acuity tests for amblyopic children aged 12 years and under
- Does Autostereoscopic Video Game Play Affect the Total Horizontal Fusional Amplitudes of 7 to 11-year-old children?
Previous Research Projects
- Amblyopia treatment and quality of life: the child's perspective on atropine versus patching. Publication: in preparation
- de Jongh E, Leach C, Tjon-Fo-Sang MJ, Bjerre A. Inter-examiner variability and agreement of the alternate prism cover test (APCT) measurements of strabismus performed by 4 examiners. Strabismus. 2014;22:158-66. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/09273972.2014.972521
- Spofforth J, Codina C, Bjerre A. Is the ‘visualFields easy’ application a useful tool to identify visual field defects in patients who have suffered a stroke? Ophthalmology Research: An International Journal. 2017;7:1-10.
- Dawkins A, Bjerre A. Do the near computerised and non-computerised crowded Kay picture tests produce the same measure of visual acuity? British and Irish Orthoptic Journal. 2016;13:22-28
- Maqsud MA, Arblaster GE. The incidence and visual acuity outcomes of children identified with ametropic amblyopia by vision screening. J AAPOS. 2015; 19(2): 104-7. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1091853115000026?via%3Dihub
- Beckett F, Bjerre A. Does the mode of birth delivery affect the development of strabismus? Poster 9-10. July 2015. British and Irish Orthoptic Society (BIOS) Annual Scientific Conference, Birmingham.
- de Jongh E, Leach C, Tjon-Fo-Sang MJ, Bjerre A. When may variation in deviation of strabismus be considered as real change? Presentation at European Strabismological Association (ESA) conference 4.-7. September 2013.