Accommodation scholarships for care leavers
Information on the accommodation scholarships available to care leavers.
Unite Foundation Accommodation Scholarship
The University is working with the Unite Foundation to offer free Unite accommodation for up to three years of study to students who are estranged or from care.
The scholarship also provides other opportunities through the foundation's sponsors, such as work placement opportunities, mentoring and other activities that can help you make the most of your university experience.
To be considered for the scholarship you must be
- a care leaver (see our definition)
- eligible to pay the home or UK rate of fee
- under the age of 25 as of 1 September 2023
- a new student starting your undergraduate course in September 2023 or a continuing undergraduate
- in receipt of, or applying for, student finance specific to care leaver, care experienced or estranged students
How to apply
- Download and read the information & guidance document to familiarise yourself with the eligibility criteria & process:
Unite Scholarship Information and Guidance 2023/24 (PDF, 364KB)
- Notify our team (email@example.com) that you are applying for the Unite Foundation scholarship and provide evidence to confirm your status as a care leaver before 5pm on 26 May 2023.
If you are a continuing student and have applied for the Enhanced Bursary for care leavers you do not need to provide further evidence to support your circumstances. You should still contact us to confirm you are applying though.
Contact the Student Fees and Funding Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any difficulty providing this evidence.
- We will review your supporting evidence and confirm if you meet the eligibility criteria for the award. By notifying us that you are applying for the scholarship you are agreeing that you're happy for us to verify your eligibility to the Unite Foundation.
- Complete and submit the online application form directly to the Unite Foundation by midnight, 1 June 2023.
- You will be notified of the outcome before 29 June 2023. If your eligible application is initially unsuccessful, you will be put on the reserve list and may be offered a scholarship following the adjustment and clearing process.
The Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme is not able to provide awards for every eligible person. Their priority is to
- balance scholarships between estranged and care leaver students
- reflect a range of academic ability and course choice
- balance scholarships throughout the partner university network
For further information and guidance on eligibility and how to apply, please refer to the PDF below or visit the Unite Foundation website. Please note that Unite does not accept pets in their accommodation.
Download the Unite Foundation guidance and information 2023/24 (PDF, 364KB)
Awards are conditional on you being accepted and fully registered on your specified course at the University of Sheffield during the 2023-24 academic year and meeting the eligibility criteria for the scholarship.
Where you are successful in applying for these awards, you may be allocated a different room to the ones you have applied for. We will contact you to discuss this once you have been notified that your application was successful.
Accommodation guarantor scheme
The University will act as an accommodation guarantor for rent payable under an assured shorthold tenancy.
This service is available for students who are a care leaver or estranged from their families and do not have anyone to act as a guarantor.
The scheme is also open to international students (overseas or EU) who do not have a UK guarantor.
Still got questions?
Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.