Joint China Scholarship Council – University of Sheffield PhD programme 2021-22
This scheme provides academically excellent Chinese students with the opportunity to study for a PhD at the University of Sheffield. The scholarships are supported jointly by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Sheffield.
The University of Sheffield will fund tuition fees for 3.5 years. Students are expected to submit their thesis within this period. CSC will fund a grant for living costs for up to 4 years, and one return flight from China to the UK.
- You must be applying to start a new full-time PhD programme at Sheffield
- You must have a strong academic background
- You must be a national of and reside in, mainland China (not including Hong Kong or Macau) – see CSC policies
- You must also be intending to return to China once your programme is completed
- You will require an unconditional offer from the University of Sheffield including meeting both academic and English language criteria
- Satisfy all of the CSC's selection criteria
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and the fit of the applicant’s proposed research programme with Sheffield’s identified research priorities:
- Health, demographic change and wellbeing
- Food security, sustainable agriculture and the bioeconomy
- Secure, clean and efficient energy
- Smart, green and integrated transport
- Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
- The changing world – inclusive, innovative and reflective societies
- Secure societies – protecting freedom and security of citizens
Candidates should be intending to pursue research in one of the priority academic areas identified by Sheffield and CSC. However, applicants to other study/research areas will also be considered subject to the availability of relevant programmes of study at Sheffield. Up to five scholarships will be supported per year.
The University of Sheffield will inform its preferred candidates of their decision prior to March 20th each year. Nominated candidates must apply directly to the CSC for the CSC-Sheffield Joint Scholarship Programme for their endorsement of the scholarship nomination. Candidates will need their offer letter to do this.
Applications for CSC are now closed.
You must complete the form from the below link to apply for the Joint China scholarship. The application period is now closed.
If you are unable to access this form, please contact: