This scheme provides academically excellent Chinese students with the opportunity to study for a PhD at the University of Sheffield. The scholarships are supported jointly by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Sheffield.
The scholarship will cover University tuition fees, a grant for living costs and one return flight from China to the UK. Funding for each award will be up to 48 months. Successful candidates will be expected to have submitted their thesis and defended it via oral examination within this time. The fees are provided by the University of Sheffield.
You must be applying to start a new full-time PhD programme at Sheffield.
You must be a national of, and reside in, mainland China (not including Hong Kong or Macau). You must also be intending to return to China once your programme is completed. You will require an unconditional offer from the University of Sheffield, and meet both academic and English language criteria.
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and the fit of the applicant’s proposed research programme with Sheffield’s identified research priorities:
- Health, demographic change and wellbeing
- Food security, sustainable agriculture and the bioeconomy
- Secure, clean and efficient energy
- Smart, green and integrated transport
- Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
- The changing world – inclusive, innovative and reflective societies
- Secure societies – protecting freedom and security of citizens
Candidates should be intending to pursue research in one of the priority academic areas identified by Sheffield and CSC. However, applicants to other study/research areas will also be considered subject to the availability of relevant programmes of study at Sheffield.
Process for applications
In order to be considered for this scholarship you must:
- Apply for postgraduate research at Sheffield
- Apply for the Joint Sheffield/CSC Scholarship via the scholarship section of the Postgraduate Online Application Form (deadline of 23 January 2019 at 17.00 GMT)
- If successful in the Sheffield competition, apply to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) for this scholarship.
Applicants must be in receipt of an unconditional study offer (including fulfilment of all English Language requirements) prior to the scholarship application deadline of 23 January 2019 at 17.00.
Applicants must be successful with applications to Sheffield and to the CSC in order to be accepted on this scholarship programme. You'll need a visa to study in the UK.
How to apply
Applications for University funded PhD Scholarships are submitted through the University's Postgraduate Online Application Form.