Joint China Scholarship Council – University of Sheffield PhD programme 2022-23
Applications for CSC for 2022 entry are now open.
This scheme provides academically excellent Chinese students with the opportunity to study for a PhD at the University of Sheffield. The scholarships are supported jointly by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Sheffield.
The University of Sheffield will fund tuition fees for 3.5 years. Students are expected to submit their thesis within this period. CSC will fund a grant for living costs for up to 4 years, and one return flight from China to the UK.
- You must be applying to start a new full-time PhD programme at Sheffield
- You must have a strong academic background
- You must be a national of and reside in, mainland China (not including Hong Kong or Macau) – see CSC policies
- You must also be intending to return to China once your programme is completed
- You will require an unconditional study offer from the University of Sheffield including meeting both academic and English language criteria
- Satisfy all of the CSC's selection criteria
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and the fit of the applicant’s proposed research programme with Sheffield’s identified research priorities:
- Health, demographic change and wellbeing
- Food security, sustainable agriculture and the bioeconomy
- Secure, clean and efficient energy
- Smart, green and integrated transport
- Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
- The changing world – inclusive, innovative and reflective societies
- Secure societies – protecting freedom and security of citizens
Candidates should be intending to pursue research in one of the priority academic areas identified by Sheffield and CSC. However, applicants to other study/research areas will also be considered subject to the availability of relevant programmes of study at Sheffield. Up to five scholarships will be supported per year.
How to Apply
Applications for CSC for 2022 entry will open on November 1st 2021. The deadline will be Wednesday 26th January 2022 at 17:00 GMT.
Applications are submitted via the University of Sheffield online application form. Please ensure that you select a 2022/23 start date. This will provide you with access to an additional Scholarships section of the online application form. All sections of the online application form must be completed and submitted by the deadline.
The University of Sheffield will inform its preferred candidates of their decision prior to March 20th each year. These candidates will be issued with a provisional fee offer letter in addition to the study offer letter, and nominated to CSC. Nominated candidates must then apply directly to the CSC for the CSC-Sheffield Joint Scholarship Programme to secure the maintenance award. Candidates will need their University of Sheffield provisional offer letter to do this.